Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

need some help....getting ready fast for the army

Search this Thread

Old 24-11-2006, 11:48 PM
turbotoaster
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help....getting ready fast for the army

hello, just wondering if anyone can help me with this, ive got an assesment for the army....the 2 days training is on the 14th of december and im unfit to tell the truth.

i used to be 19 1/2 stone and live on maccis, anyways i stopped going there and lost 5 1/2 stone...none of this was though exercise, just purely stop eating crap

now the thing is i maybe lighter than i was before but im at the same physical fitness level, so i need a short intense program to get me fit enough to pass the tests...im not after a 6 pack just good enough to get in

the 2 main things i need to be able to do is run 1 1/2mile in 12mins and do about 6 chin ups...i can do the time on the treadmill, but in reallife i can barely run 500m without stopping.

normally id just get through it by determination and pass, but they say they do the 'pinch test' and my belly is still big(im 6'3 though, so i can get in on the weight side) but actual fat mass is to large.

can anybody help me, maybe write me a program that i can work off cus if i fail i wont be able to apply again for another 6months

if people need pics of me to see wot they are working with ill be embarresed a little but ill get some pics taken

thanks again

lee
Old 29-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

Run, every day. Just get up, and run, 1.5 miles absolute minimum. Probably more along the lines of 3 miles
Old 29-11-2006, 04:17 PM
juss 1
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

get yourself a back pack fill it with something heavy (wrap a couple of bricks in a blanket) strap it too your back and run a mile and a half and time yourself aiming to get as close as possible to target time (its actually called a B.F.T. (basic fitness test) its the minimum requirement for army entry)
Once you are close to the time go out next time with out the back pack as you will then be lighter your muscles will be able to propel you faster and (hopefully) youll achieve the target time.

Its actually not that hard to cover the distance in the required time.BUT unless things have changed dramativcally since i was in you do a squaded run (in a group of people) first for a mile and a half then you do the other mile and a half straight awat every man for him self.

to a degree will power will assist you you have to push throught what is called the wall (which is where your muscles are screaming out for you to stop) and grin and bare it try not to focus on how much is left just head down and run!!!

Good luck dude but i promise you this is only the start of your fitness regeme as basic training is a good 80% fitness so you be running and running .........and running alot more.
Old 29-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to post in your topic but will cycling have the same effect as running ??
Old 29-11-2006, 05:20 PM
juss 1
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

not really as there is less resistance in cycling unless you use really low gears thats why you can cover more ground easier on a bike and also on tread mills.