Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Bleep Test

Old 15-05-2006, 09:40 PM
AWK-53
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bleep Test

I've applied to the Fire Brigade and have got my first fitness tests this weekend, have got to do a hand strength test and also a bleep test. To pass the bleep test a level of 9.6 must be reached so does anyone know what sort of distance this is in meters? Not really a fit person but have been training hard over the last month so fingers crossed
Old 16-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Muska
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm in west mids brigade and depending on what brigade your applying for i can probably help you with some info.

As for the bleep test, its not really about total distance covered. You should be able to find it to download from the net for free, limewire or the like. I would recommend practising, its worth going in there knowing what your capable of, or if you need some practice.

The grip test thing is a piece of piss.

Which brigade are you going for?

Matt
Old 16-05-2006, 09:21 PM
AWK-53

Hi mate, thanks for replying. I am located in Abingdon and have applied to the Oxfordshire Fire Service. Think that I will do ok on the hand test as I work as a maintenance engineer so always using my hands. The bleep test however is a concern as I have avoided all running exercise due to breaking my leg and ankle in a mini moto accident in 2002 and have just walked and used my mountain bike to get about. I have been out jogging every night for the last 3 weeks getting further and further without my leg giving any trouble so thats
Just wanted to know how far roughly it is as I know what I can do but don't want to end up looking completely stupid if I am going to be 1 mile short etc. Did you do the test? If so how long did it go on for?
Old 16-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Muska

in west mids they have scrapped the bleep test as part of their selection process now. When i first applied in 2001 (i got in the second time i applied) i had to do it then, they just keep you going till you do the required level which was the same level as your having to do. I found it ok, but im a natural runner anyway. The reason the west nids scrapped it is because its discriminative to body shapes. It was designed for athletes and its all about getting the right turn, and using your hips.

We do it from time to time at work and if i remember rightly at level 6 i was only just starting to jog. Pace yourself and try to time it so you turn on the line for the beep. Its worth having a go somewhere doing shuttle runs just to practice the turn and get used to the stop start side of it.

I cant remember how many shuttles there are to a level, i've a feeling its 10 though (so thats there, and back 5times). As for time, obviously with each level getting faster the levels go quicker, the first few are boring anyway!

how far have you been running each night? Or how long? Sounds like you've been putting the training in, and its worth it because training school is bloody hard work if yours is anything like ours was!
Hope that helps buddy,

Matt.
Old 18-05-2006, 05:33 PM
AWK-53

Hey mate, I'm running just under a mile a day, that may not sound like much but considering I have only had 3 weeks notice and avoid running due to said previous injury I don't think thats too bad. Probably can go abit more though past a mile. Do you think thats enough or am I wasting my time? How long does the test last roughly?
Cheers Andy
Old 22-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Muska

i honestly can't remembe the time it lasted, less than 20mins i would imagine.

Matt.