Fiesta ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta ST Range of cars.

Horn not working

Search this Thread

Old 21-01-2012 | 11:53 AM
ChrisJD

Default Horn not working

Well, I changed my steering wheel a few months ago and found that the horn wasn't working. I tried various things at the time and decided to get a new horn.

Now I have the new horn and plugged it in and it still doesn't work. So went through the checks again. Checked the fuse and this is fine. Also tested the circuit at the horn, with positive to the horn wire and earth to a body panel, no power!
Removed the steering wheel to test the circuit there, and there is, but on the horn button there is a constant power, push the button and the circuit breaks!

When you close the the circuit without the horn button, there is a circuit and a click from the dashboard.

Basically:
New horn
Fuse okay
Power at steering wheel and an audible click when circuit made

Any ideas what else maybe at fault? I wouldn't have thought there was a relay for the horn, but is there?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2012 | 10:46 AM
ChrisJD

Just to say I did get the horn working again. Removed the GEM circuit fuse, which was fine, but once replaced the horn begun working.

rather confusing, but at least it works again!
Old 05-03-2012 | 12:34 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The clicking is the relay closing, which should mean the horn will work.

How are you closing the circuit without using the horn button? Sounds like a switch wiring problem to me.

You should hear the relay when you press the horn switch?

You won't get any power at the horn without the switch being pressed, else the horn would permanently be on!

Martin
Old 05-03-2012 | 01:06 PM
ChrisJD

Originally Posted by martysmartie
The clicking is the relay closing, which should mean the horn will work.

How are you closing the circuit without using the horn button? Sounds like a switch wiring problem to me.

You should hear the relay when you press the horn switch?

You won't get any power at the horn without the switch being pressed, else the horn would permanently be on!

Martin
When I was testing the circuit, I was closing the circuit by touching the wires, in other words taking out the switch.

As it turns out it was a simple case of removing and replacing the GEM circuit fuse. No idea why (perhaps just needed a reset), but it begun working and is still working now.

Chris.