Fiesta RS1800/RS Turbo This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta RS Range of cars.

Fiesta rs turbo running problems

Search this Thread

Old 27-12-2012, 08:27 AM
tat2cliff
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta rs turbo running problems

Hi everyone i hope you all had a great christmas, i hope someone may be able to help with a running problem i have on my fiesta rs turbo, she is a lovely car in very good condition with only 72,000 miles on the clock
About 5 or 6 months ago she developed an overheating issue nothing strange there as it was the summer and ford fair was coming up, so i replace the thermastat with an 82 degree one and an 82 degree switch then done the timing belt and water pump and a brand new fan but still she was running hot so on someone advise i fitted an airtec rad which instantly solved the problem happy days so of we go to ford fair. on the way the car had started to develope what seemed like a bit of a miss-fire and was holdind back a bit but she ticked over fine apart from a very slightly noisey tappet. When i returned home the problem got worse she started to hunt on tick over and would drive fine untill she came on boost and then she would hold back and pink so i fitted a new cam and tappets and found 2 tappets stuck in the head, great i thought i have definatly got the problem now however although i now have a lovely quite engine i still have the running problem.The next thing that had been suggested was a new map sensor which i replaces 3 weeks ago but still no good and to top that i went out to start her christmas eve and now she is only running on 2 or 3 cylinders and sounds like a dump truckcould this be an issue witrh the crank position sensor? maybe damp in it or has anyone got any idears? i brought this car for a bit of fun and she is stunning to look at but i have only driven her once in the last 6 months, HELP!
Old 27-12-2012, 09:21 AM
daz1968
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Could be coil pack but difficult for anyone to diagnose at a distance.
Old 27-12-2012, 10:10 AM
tat2cliff
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by daz1968
Could be coil pack but difficult for anyone to diagnose at a distance.
sorry forgot to mention i have changed that to but thanks anyway mate
Old 27-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one of these and when the work they are wonderful, but when they don't they do tend to drive you insane! (this is normal for an old ford)

can you give us a list of the parts you have replaced please as it is unlikely that you will have 2 duffer parts (but is possible) also the CPS sensor can cause a variety of issues so is worth looking at, another problems is dodgy connections anywhere in the engine loom (this one is the same for all cars) so a bit of effort put into checking and cleaning ALL of the connections is well worth while.

While I use other people for my toy now Mr Bayjoo at the Grove garage is in your neck of the woods and realy does know Fiesta RS Turbo engines inside out (including the managment)! they are well worth a visit!

Fuel pressure regulators are all worth looking at for this sort of problem. Another really silly one is is AIR leaks especially between the turbo and the manifold! - had both of these in the past too!

PM me if you have any questions and I'll try to help.

ALSO PLEASE CHECK YOUR GREEN RELAY in the wiring loom behind the fuses where drives right knees is. This is a Well know problems that can cause disaster as it stop the FAN working..... and melts the loom at the same time!
Old 27-12-2012, 11:00 AM
frsjon
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

have you changed the coolant temp sensor cliff? they cause all sorts of trouble+ normally play up rather than just die.. its located in the back of the inlet.any smoke coming out of it whilst driving ?.it doesnt sound like something you have disturbed...what ill do mate is round up all the spare sensors i can find and send them up.. see if anything solves it..

Last edited by frsjon; 27-12-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 27-12-2012, 05:11 PM
tat2cliff
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by frsjon
have you changed the coolant temp sensor cliff? they cause all sorts of trouble+ normally play up rather than just die.. its located in the back of the inlet.any smoke coming out of it whilst driving ?.it doesnt sound like something you have disturbed...what ill do mate is round up all the spare sensors i can find and send them up.. see if anything solves it..
cheers buddy your a gent
Old 27-12-2012, 10:49 PM
tat2cliff
Part of the Furniture

i did change the temp sender is that what your on about?

Trending Topics

Old 29-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

could u have blown ya H.G when it over heated ?
Old 29-12-2012, 06:29 PM
frsjon

Originally Posted by tat2cliff
i did change the temp sender is that what your on about?
the temp sensor in the back of the inlet or the temp sender in the front of the head?
Old 29-12-2012, 07:28 PM
tat2cliff
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Ben26
could u have blown ya H.G when it over heated ?
tested the head gasket and it was fine
Old 29-12-2012, 07:34 PM
tat2cliff
Part of the Furniture

the temp sensor in the back of the inlet or the temp sender in the front of the head?
right ok jon the answer then is no, i have changrd the temp sender but not the temp sensor, i have however read an artical on the net about what happens when a cps fails and they could have been discribing my fezz so hopefully when the new one arrives my son and i will be on a ferry over to the island to buy you and jay a well deserved pint mate, your both a couple of great fellas and a real credit to the site
Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 PM
frsjon

cliff-did you sort this ? i seem to be short of most of the sensors you would need to check.. give them to other people i suppose . i have water temp sensors if you want to try one?