Concours d'élégance. The section dedicated to those who like things pristione and shiny. Buftys in other words.

how do you use a clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 24-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts
Default how do you use a clay bar

as title but what they for and whats the difference against a good bufty session?
Old 26-11-2007, 06:40 PM
jock05
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After you have washed your car run your fingers over the paint. Does it feel rough or smooth? If you can't tell use a freezer bag over your hand and try again. If it's rough you need to clay it. Clay removes the ingrained dirt and industrial fall out. It leaves the surface smooth ready to polish and wax. You can get various types of clay but the Meguiars one is good. All you do is spray the lubricant and rub a small piece of clay over the panel making sure the panel is continually lubed. You will be surprised how much dirt is in the paint. Once the clay gets dirty, knead it until it's clean and use again. If you drop in throw it away and use a clean piece.
Old 27-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

The paintwork is smooth to touch and I very rarely wash it. I will keep my eyes open next time I pick some Meguires gold up.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 29-12-2007, 06:23 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think it's smooth, wait 'til you've used a clay bar, will be amazed.
See the shit left on it and you'll appreciate how good they are
Old 30-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by jock05
After you have washed your car run your fingers over the paint. Does it feel rough or smooth? If you can't tell use a freezer bag over your hand and try again. If it's rough you need to clay it. Clay removes the ingrained dirt and industrial fall out. It leaves the surface smooth ready to polish and wax. You can get various types of clay but the Meguiars one is good. All you do is spray the lubricant and rub a small piece of clay over the panel making sure the panel is continually lubed. You will be surprised how much dirt is in the paint. Once the clay gets dirty, knead it until it's clean and use again. If you drop in throw it away and use a clean piece.
google, copy and paste. the wonders of the internet

was that from detailled obbsesion website? good site
Old 30-03-2008, 01:38 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

i tried a meguairs clay bar and im not sure what it was meant to do but i didnt see much difference after. bit of a dissapointment for me and a waste of a couplkeof hours. maybe i wasnt doing it right?
Old 30-03-2008, 02:04 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by fuzzy
i tried a meguairs clay bar and im not sure what it was meant to do but i didnt see much difference after. bit of a dissapointment for me and a waste of a couplkeof hours. maybe i wasnt doing it right?
you won't really 'see' a great difference in the paintwork, it just preps it ready for a good polishing session.....the cleaner the paintwork, the better the overall finish.

I use a mixture of water and shampoo as the lube.

it's a tedious job but can be the only way to get rid of tar spots, tree sap and other tough to move stuff.

Trending Topics

Old 02-04-2008, 04:43 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Any panels feel at all rough?
Be as smooth as glass after, giving a good surface for sealant.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Mike C
The Special One

use a decent clay bar and you'll tell the difference...

Use either Zymol Lehm Klay and Lube or Sonus Fine Green Klay and make your own lube for a cheaper, but still very effective option (to make lube mix a little Zymol Auto Wash with 0PPM purified water - Whatever you do, DO NOT use water straight from the tap).

Basically what it does is clean very deep and de-contaminates your paintwork, removes minor abrasions etc.

Once it's done, your paintwork should feel silky smooth