Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Goddam home networks!!! Not working - still!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Goddam home networks!!! Not working - still!!!

Right, so now I have three PC's, all running Windows XP (Home), connected to the net in my house. My PC is upstairs in my room, my bro's in his room and the family PC downstairs.

All three PC's connect to the web using a broadband 4 port modem router - broadband line from telephone socket into router modem, then each PC connects to router via cat5 patch cable.

So, I ran the XP Network wizard thingy on my PC up here. Gave the PC a name like it said (MATT) and gave the network a name too (COWAN). It finished and said I should run the wizard on all PC's to be connected to the network. So then I let it reboot itself.

So I go downstairs, and run the wizard on that PC. Gave it a name (COWAN_01) and gave the network a name aswell (COWAN) as it said they all need to be entered on the same name. Same thing, let it reboot.

Meanwhile I go back upstairs. Open the "My Network Places" tab in the start menu and I see a new icon labled "Shared Doc's on MATT" listed under "LOCAL NETWORK"

Cool I think - it's working. So I put a picture in the folder to see if I can access it downstairs. Then I click the "VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS" tab in "My Network Places"

It thinks for a min, then shows two computer icons - one labled MATT and another labled DOWNSTAIRS PC (COWAN_01)

GREAT I think - it is working. So I double click the DOWNSTAIRS PC expecting it to open up so I can get into the shared folder.

But it doesn't! All I get is this error message;

Hmmm..... So I go downstairs to see what thats like.

Open My Network Places and there is nothing. just and FTP site that was there before. I go to "ADD A NETWORK PLACE", find the COWAN network but it won't find my (MATT) PC so I can't add anything.

WTF is going wrong?

ALso, it STILL won't let me add a printer (printer connected to the downstairs PC via US, gave it a name but it won't find it when I select ADD NETWORK PRINTER/BROWSE FOR PRINTER

:w all:
Old 03-10-2005, 11:07 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Right, problem number one is that XP pro is better then Home

on the main pc, click start -> run and type in cmd, press enter then, type in ping DOWNSTAIRS PC and see if it communicates.

What have you made it so difficult for yourself ??

My network is called RS, main pc is called Buffy and the laptop is called Willow Took me less then 10 minuties to do mine and all communicate fine

Old 03-10-2005, 11:13 PM
xpackcapri
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

--
Old 04-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Dan B
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm OK, in that my laptop runs Linux not Windows, so I can SSH/SCP to it to remote-control or transfer files to/from it......had problems getting network-shares working between XP Pro (on the laptop - it's dual-booted with debian sarge) and 2k Pro (on the desktop), so I just didn't bother trying.

This way, there's no need to bother trying to keep myself from ripping my hair out, I just set the internet connection up......when that's working, I use either puTTY (remote-control client) or WinSCP (secure FTP client) to communicate with the laptop from my desktop......easy to set up, just needs the IP address and username/password details for the laptop!
Old 04-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Here is my set up;

All PC's run XP Home (I do have a copy of XP Pro but don't really want to reinstall on all PC's tbh!!!)

Workgroup name is : COWAN

Names;
PC#1 = DOWNSTAIRS PC
PC#2 = MATT
PC#3 = BRO (not surrently linked to this workgroup as I haven't bothered to run wizard till I get the other two to talk to each other)

Here is the router modem I am using (click pic for details)

Dan if I buy you beer will you come to my house and fix it all
Old 05-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Bumpety bump