Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

draytek vigor 2820n

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default draytek vigor 2820n

I've been left with this from the old job.

They had the wireless disabled and I had to connect their laptop using an ethernet cable.

Today, I downloaded the instructions and did a factory reset but that hasn't reinstated wireless.

I've tried connecting it to my own computer using an ethernet cable and my machine can't "see" it when I try to access it through the browser, and when I ping it I get 4 sent none returned, 100% loss.

Two questions:
Is this piece of kit worth the hassle of getting working? (It never once dropped the internet in 3 years, while my home Belkin keeps dropping regularly)

What do i have to do to make it properly functional?

Bear in mind that what I've done so far is about the limit of my technical knowledge!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:48 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

are you sure you are pinging the right IP address? Does the router have a DHCP server built in? If not you will have to set your ip manually.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

According to the instructions I downloaded from Draytek, it should be 192.168.1.1

I have my laptop set to automatically assign an IP as I don't have a static IP.

Not sure about the DCHP question...
Old 08-11-2011, 06:29 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Just had a quick google and the 2820 Is DHCP enabled.
What IP address is your laptop picking up?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It didn't seem to be seeing the Draytek at all.

Didn't appear as a netwrork, and with no wireless active I couldn't search for it either.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:53 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Any flashing lights on the router? Does it not show as connected in network connections? You are defiantly connected to the correct port on the front of the router? Some of the drayteks I use in work you have to connect to port 2 rather than 1, can't remember why tbh. Maybe speed.
Are you sure the cable is good?
Old 08-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The front panel lights all seem to be correct according to the instructions.

I did manage to get into the router for a short time where I discovered that wireless has been switched off in the settings, but I need the administrator password to reinstate it, and I don't know what that is.
The instructions suggest that pressing and holding the reset button will clear the password, but it doesn't.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Frogford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

draytek kit is usually admin/admin as username/password and access point standard is 192.168.1.2 if thts any help
Old 09-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for your help but this thing has got me beat. I've spent hours on it today but it's just too complicated for me, especially without the instructions, and that's a pity because it seems to be quite a high-end unit that was entirely stable in use.

I managed to do a hard reset and that removed the previously installed passwords and settings.

When using an Ethernet cable it doesn't seem to be recognised, even though that was my only method of connection before.

Although I can't get the Wireless light to come on, that seems to be the only way I've managed to connect, but the connection keeps disappearing when I start changing the settings to suit my home network.

If anyone wants to make me an offer for this, I think I'll buy a nice straightforward D-Link or similar!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Frogford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just realised.... try plugging your computer and draytek via a crssover cable to set it up! Im pretty sure that's what the engineers do at our place. if you get stuck i can male one up and post it to you
Old 09-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for the offer but I don't know what a crossover cable is or where I'd plug it in!

I'm just going to admit defeat on this thing.