Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Computer wizards

Search this Thread

Old 14-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Camel Fiddler
Resident Camel Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Computer wizards

How do I sort this?

It's a Dell Inspiron 1520 with unregistered Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit upgrade from XP. Was ordering a code day after it happened as well
Did a windows update and it reset to this but not got an install disc.
Old 14-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Steve_RS
Part of the Furniture

Firstly, I wouldn't bother trying to put windows 7 on an inspiron 1520 unless you upgrade the chip to a fast dual-core & upgrade the ram to 2gb or more.

You can download an Win 7 installation disc (from the usual 'dodgy' sources - I won't post the names of these places on a public forum) and burn it to cd using another pc.

But again, personally, if its a standard inspiron 1520 - leave it running on WinXP. Will work much faster. Again, WinXP installation cd's can be acquired from the usual places.

In your current dilemma - you need a windows disc to make it run again - whether it be windows 7, or XP.

If you're lucky, you may be able to go into the BIOS and check for a secondary partition on the HDD for a recovery partition & recovery options.
Old 14-05-2011, 10:15 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your fucked without an install disc really, when it starts there will be press f2 to enter setup, then there may be a screen saying something about doing system recovery, nothing in the BIOS can specify what partition to use, only the hard drive.
Old 16-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Steve_RS
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
Your fucked without an install disc really, when it starts there will be press f2 to enter setup, then there may be a screen saying something about doing system recovery
Not entirely 'fucked' just yet...

Press [F2] when you see the DELL logo & the blue bar, to enter the System BIOS. Theres nothing about 'System Recovery' in the BIOS, but you can alter some useful settings to try a few things in here.

Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
nothing in the BIOS can specify what partition to use, only the hard drive.
Bullshit. Of course you can tell it to boot from another partition via BIOS....

In the 'Boot Sequence' section in the BIOS - you can alter the 'Hard Disk Drives' to tell it which HDD or Partition to boot first. If you're lucky, and theres a secondary recovery partition there, you can tell the BIOS to boot from that rather than the primary partition with the corrupt windows.

Alternatively if it shows no secondary partition in the list, being a dell, (there is another method) try pressing [Ctrl][F11] when you see the dell logo when you first switch it on.
If the hard drive hasn't been messed-with too much and the laptop definately wasn't supplied with recovery CD's, this should fire it into restore mode. BE WARNED THOUGH - if it works, anything you've put on there (programs, music, videos etc...) will be wiped off.

It will also revert to XP or vista depending on what it was supplied with originally.

But to save aggro (now, and in the future)... GET A FUCKING WINDOWS DISC!
Old 17-05-2011, 04:40 AM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

I've never had a bios where you can choose a partition to boot from - that's down to the MBR, surely?
Old 17-05-2011, 07:18 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

The BIOS you can configure the boot order priority of devices but to locate the OS, partition etc that is the job of the MBR.

Back to the OP, you DON'T need install media, if you load the "Advanced Boot Options" I.E pressing F8 on startup you will see one of the options there is "Repair your computer" which is your best bet (Although it may be worth trying "Last good known configuration" first.

Martin
Old 21-05-2011, 08:23 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J4MES-T190
How do I sort this?

It's a Dell Inspiron 1520 with unregistered Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit upgrade from XP. Was ordering a code day after it happened as well
Did a windows update and it reset to this but not got an install disc.
Try this linky

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
Old 24-05-2011, 07:59 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by martysmartie
The BIOS you can configure the boot order priority of devices but to locate the OS, partition etc that is the job of the MBR.

Back to the OP, you DON'T need install media, if you load the "Advanced Boot Options" I.E pressing F8 on startup you will see one of the options there is "Repair your computer" which is your best bet (Although it may be worth trying "Last good known configuration" first.

Martin
When you choose repair computer that will take you to the msdos recovery console.
Old 24-05-2011, 10:15 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

There is no recovery console in Vista/7, instead it's been replaced by several other options, one being "Startup repair" which is what I would advise the OP to do, others include the "Memory diagnostic" and "System restore".

In any case the repair option in XP etc will repair the OS, effectively an inplace upgrade, the recovery option is a different option and is all command line driven.

Martin

Last edited by martysmartie; 24-05-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 25-05-2011, 12:52 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Have a look at this, it may help you out :

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...sta+Bootloader