Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Well, here goes nuffin... "Ghetto HTPC" build!

Search this Thread

Old 15-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Alex_86
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never mind
Old 19-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

ERr, okay then

Anyone have any other idea's as to why it won't output bitperfect DD and DTS streams via the optical SPDIF, cos the Trust optical card in my other machine does, so can't figure out why this one won't.....
Old 19-04-2007, 04:43 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have those machines at work!! Top machines

Just flicked to the end, looks like you got Windows installed OK - was gonna recommend using a new hard disk

Is it the same model sound card? The card needs to know what those protocols are in order to get them out. There may be an option in the card's configuration on which one to use. May also be worth trying a different TOSLink cable in case it's damaged

Disable the onboard audio in the BIOS as well (Press F10 when you see the big red Compaq logo)
Old 20-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Cable is fine (used it on a dvd player and no probs) likewise with the optical input on the amp. On board soundcard is turned off, and the cards driver config thingy is set to use the SPDIF only, and set to passthrough all digital and all analogue audio through it....

Basically exactly the same as my main machine, but whilst this (main machine) PC will output both DD and DTS fine, the Compaq with the Yamaha card won't - it will only output DD in multichannel, and downmixes everything else to stereo, or just outputs the DTS as white noise
Old 30-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Fuck knows how, was just searching for something else, but stumbled on this thread

Turns out the last post about soundcard not working, tho I barely remember it, was a codec conflict error - uninstalled all additional codec's, installed two packs (one for video, one for audio) and a few settings changes on video playbakc programmes (I use, Zoomplayer for pretty much everything, VLC for DVD playback and Media Player Classic for mounted images - BIN/CUE mounted as VCD, and WMV playback, with WMP for audio only) and it's been working fine for the past year + I get full multichannel DD and DTS, 5.1 and 6.1

Finally configured Powerstrip after best part of a month testing settings to get it to output a 1024x576 resolution (perfect 16:9 ratio, plus 576 is native CRT res). S-Video can only contain a 4:3 image, and in DVD players and the like, this image has to be anamorphic in order to "expand" the image to a 16:9 res picture. Powerstrip allows the same to be done with a computer desktop resolution. It creates a 16:9 resolution and squeezes it into a 4:3 "frame", which is then sent down the S-Video cable to the TV, then the TV expands it back to widescreen again. What this means tho is that circles appear round, and video's playback in perfect aspect ratio without me having to force manipulate them

Other updates on the original plan is I ditched the external USB HDD as the media source, and went for a media and internet server. Single box with internal HDD (400gb model), with integral 3-port ethernet router and wireless access point. Modem into server via ethernet, main PC and media PC hooked up using ethernet and laptop on wifi, all can access the server and it's content and stream music and video to each PC (except at this exact moment in time it's broken and I have no music <--- real tears) Which is cool cos anything I want to watch or listen to I can put directly into the designated folders on my server (My Music, My Video, My Pictures, etc) and then each computer can access them. Nice n easy!

Got one of these for it;

http://i.testfreaks.co.uk/images/pro...-rf.294171.jpg

Keyboard with track pad, operates over RF signal (2.4gHz) so can be used from the garden, the kitchen, pretty much anywhere USB dongle in the back of the PC picks up the radio freq

Could do with a remote tho TBH, make volume easier to manage, aswell as play/pause, and skip forward/back with a simple remote....

My hooky copy of XP still working fine after over a year Despite being hooked into the net all this time with no personal firewall or anything. WMP11 even downloaded on it Result