Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Sound/audio people (5.1 hissing and "noise" )

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:05 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sound/audio people (5.1 hissing and "noise" )

Basically i was running some Logitech x230's (2.1) for a few months, they were great, never had one problem with them, now i wanted something better so i got some x530's (5.1), agian these are great, really good sound etc BUT it keeps hissing every now and agian, and its picking up the radio by the sounds of it, its really really p*ssing me off now! its not like its faint either its like im playing something when im not

Anyway i was led to believe this was happening due to crappy onboard sound, so i went and got a "Creative X-Fi Extreme gamer" sound card, which is one of the all singing all dancing affairs, and guess what, i still get the "noise"/ interference whatever you want to call it
Obviously the sound is much better when playing music and what not but the hissing and random radio playing is still there.

I red on Creatives forum that noise is always there but you should adjust your systems volume so that the noise is not audible but im having a job doing that the hissing and stuff seems to stop when i turn the volume knob up so what i did was turn it up and then go into the master controls and turn it down a touch, that seems to have stopped it for now but what the hell is this, i know there not "THE" best speakers but there good arent they? and i got a decent soundcard now but still im getting this?

Im hoping some sound "guru" can enlighten me on this
Old 10-01-2007, 11:47 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you got a microphone ?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:13 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

No i havent mate, dont even own one, whats that got to do with the price of fish anyway?

As i said above turning the volume knob up on the actual speaker and then turning it down on control panel seem to have done the trick(apparently when you turn up the volume it makes the built in amp filter out "noise" better) clearly thats whats happening now as i havent heard any strange noises since

Im just abit because you shouldnt have to faff around like this, why aren't the speakers made so that "noise" doesnt happen or is so faint you cant hear it
Old 11-01-2007, 12:15 PM
markc
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

who built ur pc??
Old 11-01-2007, 12:57 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Bought it from a pc shop near me, but the only thing thats left in it that was already installed is the cpu,motherboard,ram, case fans, DVD Rewriter drive, Hard drive., ive changed the psu, graphics card, and now this sound card myself.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:58 PM
markc

have a look and see if they haved use the gay red card washers between the board/case on the screws
Old 11-01-2007, 01:02 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

I cant be bothered getting the pc out, its under the desk all neat and tidy

So you think the problem lays with shitty washers between the board/case, surly not

Anyway i havent heard any strange noises since i played with the volume controls still like to know why this happens though
Old 11-01-2007, 01:06 PM
markc

the board should be earthed to the case which is earthd to the mains via the psu.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:00 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Can you elaborate a little? while i know a fair bit about pc's i dont know absolutely everything.

Your saying the washers shouldnt be there at all(if they are), and surly any pc is earthed correctly before you buy it.
Old 18-01-2007, 12:13 AM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem on my laptop, it's fin until i connect it up to my surroun sound system.
Old 18-01-2007, 11:36 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Do what i did mate, turn the main volume up on the speaker or where ever the volume knob is on your set up, mines about just under halfway up and then i turned down the volume on windows volume control to what you want.

Apparently when you turn the volume up on the speakers it gives more power to the built in amp therefor filters out noise better

What surround speakers have you got out of interest?
Old 19-01-2007, 12:53 PM
nrg19uk
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arrrgghhh

i had same problem uninstall the drivers and reinstall sorted it out for me

had to do it a few times before it stopped
Old 20-01-2007, 10:43 AM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTi_iTG
Do what i did mate, turn the main volume up on the speaker or where ever the volume knob is on your set up, mines about just under halfway up and then i turned down the volume on windows volume control to what you want.

Apparently when you turn the volume up on the speakers it gives more power to the built in amp therefor filters out noise better

What surround speakers have you got out of interest?
tried that still the same, also tried selecting the mute all audio button which makes no difference, the speakers are just cheapo ones from ebay but they work fine when connected to the tv it's just upto the laptop it all goes tits up!

what drivers do i need to reinstall? i don't know much about computers really
Old 20-01-2007, 10:58 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Audio drivers or if you have a soundcard the drivers for that.

To find the drivers go into control panel, add/remove programmes and it should be in the list, just make sure you have the drivers to put back on first, you dont want to uninstall then think shit where do i find the drivers to install you should have discs with your laptop with the drivers on or when you find what drivers they are you could google it and download them from the net.

Not sure if that will work but according to the chap above it does so worth a shot
Old 22-01-2007, 05:56 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found that if I plugged my pic into the 5.1 sound card it created a nasty humming noise that got louder with increased volume, plugging it into the onboard sound card resolved it.
Old 22-01-2007, 09:39 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Im sorry dan but thats like saying i raced agianst my uncles DB9 in my 911, i didnt beat him so i used the run around 306 instead

What im saying is, technically it doesn't make sense
Old 22-01-2007, 11:27 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

think ive got the same card as you but i use

Zalman Theatre 6 Headphones

for the pc ..a slight hiss at times but not very loud..

http://www.atruereview.com/theatre6/index.php

got mine from overclockers but they dont sell them any more..

flawless for online games battlefield 2