Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Diesel misfire and odd problem...

Search this Thread

Old 17-10-2009, 12:54 AM
axxeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel misfire and odd problem...

I hope someone can help me with this...

Vehicle is Ford Courier Diesel with Enduro 1.8 engine. V reg 85k and no real problems before this;

I cannot get more tha 50 mph in 5th as it judders and splutters just like fuel starvation or a blockage. After it has done 10-15 miles the problem gets worse. Up until then I can get 55 but when it warms up the top speed drops to 40 - 45 with less in other ears. Revving in neutral is also impossible past a certain amount before it splutters and holds back. When you go uphill and start to change down the speed drops and drops until you are doing 10mph in 2nd. If you then knock it into neutral, it stalls and you can't restart it for a minute or two. When you do it behaves for a mile before the cycle restarts...so what to do? What should I check and in what order? I figure that changing the fuel filter would be a good place to start, plus I have a spare set of (nearly) new injectors.

I guess I am hoing that someone who visits here has come across this type of problem before.

Thanks as always,

Axxe
Old 17-10-2009, 01:35 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuel filter is the first thing I'd try, it's not injectors, and see if there is any leak that may be drawing in air to the fuel line, check the filter head diaphragm plunger, it should have big resistance to pushing down, if it pushes easy and pops straight back out the diaphragm is split, these are about £15 new, easy to do, and very common failure point, if the plunger comes back out slowly after pushing it is ok.
Also would be worth checking the fuel cut solenoid is nice and free to move, and the solenoid is working ok, ie holding the plunger against the return spring pressure.
tabetha
Old 17-10-2009, 03:44 PM
cabriolet
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

on the side of the diesel pump there is a valve with two wires coming out of it have known these to cause trouble the quick test is when the vans cold listen for a rapid chattering coming from the pump it only lasts a couple of seconds if it does its not that if it doesnt get down the breakers that valve is 95 quid the early mondeo has it as well cut the wires long then join them [solder] they can go either way
Old 17-10-2009, 04:45 PM
axxeman

Very helpful, thank you.

So far renewed fuel filter and, (touches wood) all is back to normal. Will be doing a 160 mile round trip tonight so we shall indeed see if that is the case.

For future reference Tabetha - check the filter head diaphragm plunger - where is this and what does it look like please?

Kindest to all,

Axxe
Old 17-10-2009, 05:44 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Assuming yours is the engine set up I think it is, then the filter bolts to the underside of the head, with a long through bolt normally.
tabetha
Old 17-10-2009, 05:59 PM
axxeman

Originally Posted by tabetha
Assuming yours is the engine set up I think it is, then the filter bolts to the underside of the head, with a long through bolt normally.
tabetha
No, that doesn't sound like it at all - but I could be wrong. There must be a picture on the web somewhere of the 1.8 Enduro engine...

Axxe
Old 17-10-2009, 06:58 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Must be a newer version, not very up on the modern stuff diesel wise at all, sorry, I know me mates P reg is the sort I mention.
tabetha

Trending Topics

Old 18-10-2009, 09:06 AM
axxeman

Originally Posted by tabetha
Must be a newer version, not very up on the modern stuff diesel wise at all, sorry, I know me mates P reg is the sort I mention.
tabetha
Not many years apart from P to V. My filter is a 'tin can' type bolted to the rhs of the engine block in a ring clamp. The in/ out pipes are on top and there is a bleed screw plus a drain knob underneath...

Either way, 160 miles last night without mishap so looking good. I never thought I would say this; WooHoo I just hit 80! (mph)

Thank you again,

Axxe
Old 18-10-2009, 07:10 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

It sounds like what I'm describing, but sorted anyway, and cheaply, we could all do with saving for this expensive time of year, esp with kids toys being so pricey!
tabetha