Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

bike carbs or bike tbs??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:25 PM
boostdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike carbs or bike tbs??

hi all im building a 2.0 zetec lump to go in my quantum {xr2} but now im at a hard decision i have a set of bike carbs i was planning on using with a primetive esc system to get it running ...but i also was going megajolt when i had the money ...now ive landed on some 600cc bike tbs and im thinking of that. I suppose my question is will the 600cc bike tbs be big enough for a 2.0 zetec and how my extra work would be involved thanks for any ideas ..
oh just looked at the website just what im thinking

Last edited by boostdude; 06-10-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:46 AM
rcdunk
Virgin

hi mate I am using zx6r carbs on a couple of my cars a tiger kit car running 2.0l zetec and megajolt pushing out 180bhp and a mk2 fiesta with rs1800 zetec again running zx6r carbs and megajolt pushing out about 165 bhp and still climbing (need some arp bottom end bolts should be food for 175 then . the throttle bodies are same size choke's but unsure if injectors will be up to the job and you still have to get the thing running megasquirt or similar . you mentioned price being an issue injection costs more to get going . imho stick with the carbs and go for a megajolt . if you dont fancy the wiring stuff company called chester sportscars do a pre built system just plug and play simple and good . have a look at their web site www.chestersportscars.co.uk
Old 06-10-2009, 08:32 PM
boostdude

thanks someone with voice of experience . thats a good answer and is about what im wanting to hear ..im going to set up on carbs and esc.. then go to megajolt with the hope after of maybe getting these tbs on baby steps i suppose but thanks for the figures thats made me smile... who did your mega jolt map as ive found some on the net as a base is this a good idea ?? thanks for any info
Old 06-10-2009, 08:58 PM
rcdunk
Virgin

my map was put in by chester sportscars where I got the system from then took it to my local rolling road for a tweek they messed with the jetting slightly but siad they didnt have to touch the map as it was spot on . I have heard that some of the maps off the internet are a bit off when it comes to set up rolling road I go to says they deal with them alot and usuallt finds that the downloaded maps are way off when it comes to it . my reccomendation would be give the guys at chester sportscars a call or drop them an e mail
Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just save for some decent car tb's, will beat bike carbs all day long in every way, but your car.
tabetha
Old 07-10-2009, 10:46 AM
rcdunk
Virgin

may do yeh but as he said price is an issue and bang for buck nothing will come close to bike carbs
Old 07-10-2009, 05:29 PM
boostdude

sorry to be rude rcdunk but what sort of price did you pay for the initial map set up i could surely cut costs by buying megajolt direct and installing it myself.. thanks again

Trending Topics

Old 21-08-2010, 08:32 PM
scott-78

Im going down the carb route myself with a 2.0 silvertop on R1 carbs and manifold from bogg brothers. Have an ESC ford loom for the spark side with vacum advance on, going to run that for a while and see how it goes. Havent ran it up yet but the loom ran good on a mates zetec before removal.

Last edited by scott-78; 21-08-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 24-09-2010, 10:58 AM
AstoN_B
An eye for detail...

Originally Posted by tabetha
I would just save for some decent car tb's, will beat bike carbs all day long in every way, but your car.
tabetha
How so tabetha? I ask cause I'm thinking of going the same route (itb) not carbed.

Is it due to the tight packaging and bikes not needing to produce much torque but needing high revving inlet setup?

In theory the bike bodies should produce well if spaced and designed properly for application. If mounted straight to head with silicone connectors I'd imagine it'd run terribly above idle.
Old 24-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Carbs are false economy these days given that you will get better mpg from bodies, so with the price of fuel, its worth a little extra investment initially as will save you a packet in the long run
ultimately you are going to get better overall performance from tb's as well.
Old 27-09-2010, 12:08 PM
AstoN_B
An eye for detail...

I was asking the difference between bike carbs and bike ITB's mainly.

In theory a bike injector body should perform as well as a car injector throttle body if spaced the same between head and throttle plate and same length runners for a given diameter?

Unless there's something i'm missing?

The injectors are interchangeable, they connect up and run the same as a body kit 6 times the price and they all need software to run them properly...
Old 27-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AstoN_B
I was asking the difference between bike carbs and bike ITB's mainly.
More accurate fuelling on the ITBs is the main difference, and ease of instalation for the cars.

In theory a bike injector body should perform as well as a car injector throttle body if spaced the same between head and throttle plate and same length runners for a given diameter?

Unless there's something i'm missing?
Most bike bodies instalations ive seen have been compromised in terms of the spacing the bodies, or the use of a cut up original manifold etc.

The injectors are interchangeable, they connect up and run the same as a body kit 6 times the price and they all need software to run them properly...
Indeed, ive got bike ITBs on one of my cars and they work pretty well IMHO
Old 27-09-2010, 12:50 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Programable EFI is always going to be better than carbs, fact. But if you only use it once a month and you already have the carbs then use them. instead of using megajolt though i would use full megasquirt and just control spark for now, then that always leaves the option of EFI ITBs or maybe even some boost in the future!
Old 27-09-2010, 01:19 PM
TWoods
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel difference between bike or car carbs vs throttle bodies entirely depends on your milage and predicited mpg, i found under 6,000 miles per year with 14mpg worse on carbs i had the overall costs were around the same (taking into account extra cost of efi itb)therefore mpg argument is out the window.

The performance difference on rolling roads between carbs and throttle bodies are small too however how they drive on the road is different story imho only valid reason to go ITB its so much nicer to start warm up and drive.

I experimented with a few bike bits now if i was to go again i would not bother respacing bike itbs it only moved the torque around by small amount, power no real difference and 600cc bike pico injectors are fine on 2.0l zetec too.
Old 28-09-2010, 07:02 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

words of expereince
Old 30-09-2010, 09:14 AM
mobb-black
Regular Contributor

if your fitting carbs to a later car you'd maybe struggle with emissions? With bodies + ecu you can get it thru an mot but its a more complicated and expensive setup.

If its somethin like a mk2 fez still with carbs + megajolt etc for cheap-ness + simplicity
Old 30-09-2010, 09:25 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

even simpler would be a hybrid (RED) edis module with built in map sensor and advance map.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:32 AM
AstoN_B
An eye for detail...

Wise words there. I was wondering about spacing of the bodies as the cbr1000 ones I have are cast in pairs so I'm just going to get a manifold made to mate them to head. Means I can have it nice and strong and I can use both original fuel rails with injectors. They're supposedly very good injectors.

The dcoe style bodies aren't perfectly straight so shouldn't matter once mapped and synched. Plus once welded to the intake I have made will mean no nasty disturbances to inlet tracts. And I can add vac take off for brakes.