Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

st170 DMF Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:28 PM
dwayneology
Dwayneology

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default st170 DMF Problem

My st170 has a DMF(Dual mass flywheel) in what i need to know is do ford a soild flywheel for the st170 and will it cause any problems if i fit it,

Thanks Darrell
Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 PM
dan-dan
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I doubt they do a solid flywheel, alot of car manufactures make car with dual mass flywheels. the dual mass flywheel is only there to give you a smoother drive when engaging and disengaging the clutch as far as i know. mercedes sprinters are common for dual mass flywheels failing
Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ford won't do a solid one, but could get another to fit, or even a one off made.
tabetha
Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 PM
dwayneology
Dwayneology

so far i've been told by ford that they only fitted the dual mass flywheel to the st170 for 2 years the last of the st170's were fitted with the solid flywheel, when i spoke to them on my chassis number they brought up a dmf and a solid flywheel, what i was wondering has anyone had an st170 dmf go on them if so did they replace it with a solid one and did the g-box suffer afterwards,

i know have replaced dmf's with soild on other cars and the gearbox always fail's mind this is on diesels (heavier components)
Old 11-07-2009, 08:57 PM
pdfbt40
PassionFord Regular

All SVT/ST170 were fitted with DMF by Ford, though there were changes during the build life. In Europe, in mid '93, the clutch size was increased from 230mm to 240mm and the flywheel changed to accomodate that. In USA, around the same time, they changed the clutch and flywheel, and had a massive service exchange, I don't think it was a total recall. The clutch remained 230mm thought.

Several American aftermarket companies make solid flywheels and clutch upgrades. There is quite a lot of noise in neutral with light alloy ones though. And they are all 230mm.

TTV did start making a solid flywheel in this country and I heard they had finally sorted out the 'problem' of a European sourced clutch (I told them I was using a Vauxhall Turbo Calibra one, but an XE will work as well).

Martin
Old 21-07-2009, 11:47 AM
wh0d0y0uc
Virgin

Has your flywheel failed completely or just very noisy.

Mine is very rattly when in neutral with my foot off the clutch. I was told by ford 'they all do that sir' and that even if i replace it, the noise will be back within a couple of hundred miles. Don't fancy a solid one either as i am told these are just as noisy?

My car is an 03 with about 70k on the clock. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Graham
Old 21-07-2009, 07:13 PM
pdfbt40
PassionFord Regular

A guy on FFOC has promised an announcement next week of another UK made flywheel & clutch (organic or paddle). I'll keep you posted.

wh0d0y0uc , Ford are right, they all do that, when the DMF has failed. Only lightweight solid ones are noisy, a reasonable weight steel one is quiet.

Martin
Old 26-07-2009, 10:28 PM
dwayneology
Dwayneology

my flywheel is slipping like a mo fo but i don't want to put a DMF back in as they are unreliable

i want to put a solid in and i don't car about noise as long as it doesn't go again i mean i'm not spending the extra for a crap DMF when if possible i can get a solid upgrade DMF's are the worst creeation ever they only work on 4 cylinder diesels

petrols don't suffer as they don't have as heavy components the only reason a dmf is used in a st170 is for smoother uptake of gear which doesn't bother me in the slightest

yet relabilty does,

what is the dimesions of the dmf and clutch and the dimesions of a solid flywheel out of a 2.0l zetec??

cheers Darrell
Old 06-08-2009, 07:27 PM
pdfbt40
PassionFord Regular

Sorry, been without broadband for a fortnight.....

What dimensions do you want? The overall answer is that apart from the crankshaft mounting and ring gear dimensions all the 'key dimensions are different between the 5 speed MTX gearbox flywheel /clutch and 6 speed MT285 gearbox flywheel (DMF or solid)/clutch right down to mainshaft splines and hub clearances.

If you really want flywheel dimensions I've got some rough sketches, but set-up height and hub clearances were a bit suck it and see on my MT285 conversion with Vauxhall clutch.

Martin
Old 18-08-2009, 08:44 PM
dwayneology
Dwayneology

Originally Posted by pdfbt40
Sorry, been without broadband for a fortnight.....

What dimensions do you want? The overall answer is that apart from the crankshaft mounting and ring gear dimensions all the 'key dimensions are different between the 5 speed MTX gearbox flywheel /clutch and 6 speed MT285 gearbox flywheel (DMF or solid)/clutch right down to mainshaft splines and hub clearances.

If you really want flywheel dimensions I've got some rough sketches, but set-up height and hub clearances were a bit suck it and see on my MT285 conversion with Vauxhall clutch.

Martin
Cheers Mate Dmf was a little bit worn not stupidly over the top about 15mm of free play and 2mm up and down so put in a new clutch and carryed on its worked fine i did put a new contirctic or how ever you spell it trush bearing in
#
thnaks for the replies