Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Mk1 XR2 - what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 23-02-2011, 01:53 PM
RobMo
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk1 XR2 - what to do??

afternoon people...
i'm after a bit of advice if you don't mind. My black Mk1 Xr2 has new been garaged away for around 13 years. I did intend on trying to learn a tad more about cars ( a lot of learning needed realistically) and restore it myself, as i have loved the car very much. The realism is setting in now that i see the value of these steadily increasing, whilst my knowledge, if anything, has lessened! so i am considering selling it to some form of potential enthusiast. I am hoping you guys might be able to point me in the right direction as to who to sell it to, how much to ask for it etc... or alternatively, the ultimate question as to how much it would cost me to have it restored - i am never going to get the time to work on it myself.
as much as i can remember about it at the moment, the reg is A410 TYM, its 1983/84. it hasn't run for 12/13 years and last time i looked there were a few area's a bit rusty and a lot of rust on the tailgate. off the top of my head, its got approx 100k on the clock, and i believe its been 3 owners, my uncle owning before me. i aquired the car from him around 1989 and i think he had it for about 4 years. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks muchly, Rob
Old 23-02-2011, 02:03 PM
boy-racer-1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

get some piks up mate, may not be worth restoring if the rust is extremely bad, and no one can tell you how much it would cost to restore without knowing what condition its in, and yea they are worth a few bob now and not many mk1 xr2's in that great shape so might be worth money just for the logbook
Old 23-02-2011, 02:16 PM
RobMo
Virgin

yeah, knew photo's would be needed. will have to try and visit the old garage in grays and see if it will roll out on probably square tyres by now...... - thanks for the reply though!!
Old 23-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Matty B898
Part of the Furniture

Hi mate. I have a black xr2 and i am doing a small restoration and fitting a zetec engine.

Would be interested in seeing some pictures as I may be interested in buying it if it were to go up forsale. Also where are you based?
Old 23-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Below is the mk1 xr2 i restored , cost me near on 5k to do thats with a new engine etc etc nearly every panel was replaced . lots of time and effort nearly 5 years !!!

Sold it 2 years ago for £2600 so lost out, would i do it again? NO

Last i heard it was in north wales . would like to know if its still on the rd now

Last edited by Harris.; 23-02-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 23-02-2011, 08:57 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Mk1 fezzers are so rare now, it's be a real shame to overly modify. If I was you I would strip it back, restore the body work from the ground up, and every part replaced with nice new ones, all mechanicals updated, modern brakes, suspension, modern engine on nice set of carbs.
Old 25-02-2011, 08:12 PM
PileOfRust
Advanced PassionFord User

Try and restore it yourself mate. Ive got a mk1 povvo spec and im in the process of replacing floorpans, rebuilding the front half of the inner sills from scratch, front wings, arches, boot floor etc and its my first ever project and will be my first car. defo worth doing it yourself, youd appreciate it more for what it is when its done

Trending Topics

Old 25-02-2011, 08:18 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had 1 garaged for over 13 years too
every time i think of selling it i go take pics then think fuck it ill keep it
taken the front end off and new panels sat there and got frst running gear to put in on the 4 speed, would be good if i did it
Old 25-02-2011, 10:30 PM
RobMo
Virgin

Jeez.... love this forum already..lol. been driving an impreza for bout 10 years now, and all i can think about is how the front end lift and 'chuck it in' fun of the xr2 makes me smile... think i'll make some decisions once i seen it again, photo's and spoke to a few of you who have kindly pm'd me.
will go onto say have looked at posts etc, and much respect to all of u who'v spent so much time and money, making fantastic re-presentations of these fineries... congrats to you all! point of interest, what was the 'povvo' spec?
bugger - not won the euromillions... so no restoring this week..lol
cheers!!
Old 25-02-2011, 10:40 PM
kevie79

I know a guy who sold his mint restored mk1 for just under £3000. It was a lovely sunburst red example with tinted glass, head rest pads, mint dash etc. Regretted it and bought another restored low mileage example for £2500 last year. He has since bought all the extras like the head rest pads again.

I wouldn't recommend taking it on as a profit making exercise but if your going to enjoy driving it once it's restored then go for it but don't expect to make money.

It's all the little extras that you end up purchasing and searching for months to find that make it a fun project or an absolute nightmare depending what you want from the car.
Old 25-02-2011, 10:57 PM
RobMo
Virgin

yeah - thats one of my considerations, as i'm strapped at the moment... remember from years back that people were impressed that my xr2 had opening quater lights and headrests - didn't realise they were not entirely common....
Old 25-02-2011, 11:10 PM
kevie79

If it has things like the cushions for the headrests, tinted glass, opening quarter windows, mint dash, original stereo in the console you could make a few quid from breaking. Not that I would like to see that happen but if it has a fair bit of rot its an option. The dash alone would fetch over £100 if it has no cracks.
Old 26-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Matty B898
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Harris.
Below is the mk1 xr2 i restored , cost me near on 5k to do thats with a new engine etc etc nearly every panel was replaced . lots of time and effort nearly 5 years !!!

Sold it 2 years ago for £2600 so lost out, would i do it again? NO

Last i heard it was in north wales . would like to know if its still on the rd now
What an example!! Top car and top work for getting it to that standard.