Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Rear wheel bearings question, how solid should they be

Search this Thread

Old 19-12-2007, 10:55 PM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wheel bearings question, how solid should they be

I am rebuilding my 2WD sierra, hubs. Rebuiding the front hubs was all fine, the front bearings are what I am used to, the rears are confusing me.

To me a bearing should be able to removed and stay intact... The front hubs are like that... I know of some special cases and am wondering if the rear is one of them.

I have two sets of rear hubs, I would like to replace the seals on the best set after sandblast / powder coating the casting.
I dismantled the poorer condition (externally had some rust) set to see whats in there.

When I removed the axles the grease held the bearings together, when I cleaned and went to remove the seals the inner part of the bearing fell out along with the rollers ... the cage is fine...appeared to be plastic which was wierd. I am wondering if the rears are just like this. Normally when I see this I just throw everything and replace it. But I am not sure that this is the case here.

Should I expect this and collect the pieces and reassemble with grease later.. or are they stuffed / should never do this. What should happen.

I dont want to dismantle the good set till I work out whats happening.
I was hoping to just replace the seals on them.
Old 20-12-2007, 06:12 AM
dave green
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be no play at all in them if thats what you mean. some cars use taper roller bearings in the rar and a small amount of play is normal

Dave
Old 20-12-2007, 07:53 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the plastic bit is the bearing cage
you can get ones with metal cages which are better because you can take them apart and reuse them but the plastic ones tend to fall apart when you undo them to remove them

what you need to do is fit the bearings into the hub and then don't do anything until it comes time to actually bolt everything up again because you need to put somewhere between 180 and 220 lb/ft worth of torque on them to do them up to the correct tightness

always use a new nut and remember that they are left and right handed therads on either side

the bearings you are thinking about are those held together with split pins etc that you can take apart and reuse time and time again, as found most often on cars that have rear drums that you have to remove the bearing nut to get the drums off with etc

there are plenty of people on ebay who will sell you bearings for the car, and from my experience all sierra rear bearings are the same, so if you can get a set from a granada they'll be cheaer and more than likely have metal cages

last lot i boguht from ebay cost me Ł12 including postage as a buy it now price
Old 01-01-2008, 09:05 AM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip on the bearings, will get a new set