Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Brake problom on my 4x4 saff

Search this Thread

Old 21-08-2007, 05:27 PM
NUNOOKS
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake problom on my 4x4 saff

hi there, if any one can help ,
i have a 4x4 saff , and have had a rock hard brake pedal in the car its been like it ever since brought it , around 4 years ago,the cars had braided brake hoses all round,
AP 330,4pots on front with ds2500 ferodo pads, and on the rear standard calipers, discs and just normal ferodo pads, and ap brake fluid 5.1.
we have bled the brakes numerous occasions but the brakes just have no bite to them, and the pedal stays rock hard. if any one has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Old 21-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Can u heard the brake servo priming (it sud make a buzzing noise) cause i know if the servo pump is workin ur brake pedal will b poor.
Old 21-08-2007, 07:13 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming the pump is working, the pedal will be nice and soft, they bare a bit overassisted.
I would suggest you change the pads as this is EXACTLY as I found with the DS range, and why I do not use them, they are a hard pad with zero feel, and IMO crap anyway.
I now use YELLOWSTUFF(EBC).
I assume the pump works as the pressure is needed to extinguish the ABS light which is part of the MOT test, pummp pedal say ten times when stopped(ignition on) and you will hear it buzzing away merrily, if not this would be the first thing to fix.
tabetha
Old 21-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Tony Rs
Ebony black Sapph Cos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rscossiegaz off here had the same prob with his sapph we replaced the abs relay`s located on the passenger side under the dash and sorted the problem im pretty sure its 2 purple ones . hope this helps seems the cheapest way to start clearing faults before you go changing the pump etc.
Old 22-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Yeh the abs relays r purple
Old 22-08-2007, 10:26 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

turn the ignitio to pos 1 (radio only)
you should hear the abs pump buzzing away to build up pressure
this shuold take between 10 and 20 seconds before it stops
if ti carries on and doesn't stop, you've got a problem with the wiring/pump that needs sorting

but if yo've had the car for 4 years and it's always been the same it would seem to rule out this problem

how did you bleed the brakes? if you are saying the pedal is hard (they all are but there is plenty of feel in it) then that means there shouldn't be an air lock in the system

how does the car brake? as normal or does it need loads of effort?

does the bs light go on and off like normal?
Old 22-08-2007, 04:17 PM
NUNOOKS
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys for your help.
yes the abs pump does turn it self off after about 20seconds, and the abs light does not stay on when you start the car, the brakes are all ways bled with the rear one first and then the fronts, the car does take a lot of effort when pressing the pedal ,some times when you press them you have to double press then, or they fade.
i think the abs pump must be working ok and im sure we have got all the air out of the lines , so i think i will change the purple relays to see if this works, fingers crossed this will work.

Trending Topics

Old 22-08-2007, 05:24 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Work it out!!, the relays control the PUMP which is working as the light goes out.
The pressure has NO EFFECT on the pads however, if they seem to fade they may have got resin coated as happened to mine, the rsin that bonds the pads comes to the surface if they are overheated, and will give the pads a shiny look, they can also crack but this is nothing to be concerend about and normal for some.
After you change the relays and have the same problem, try the pads, or even someone else's car with different pads, and see and FEEL the difference.
tabetha
Old 22-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Tony Rs
Ebony black Sapph Cos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NUNOOKS
thanks guys for your help.
yes the abs pump does turn it self off after about 20seconds, and the abs light does not stay on when you start the car, the brakes are all ways bled with the rear one first and then the fronts, the car does take a lot of effort when pressing the pedal ,some times when you press them you have to double press then, or they fade.
i think the abs pump must be working ok and im sure we have got all the air out of the lines , so i think i will change the purple relays to see if this works, fingers crossed this will work.
mate let me know how you get on