Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

After some dietry/training advice....

Search this Thread

Old 19-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After some dietry/training advice....

Its been about 10 years since i did any serious training (and all i did was lift heavy weights and drink beer afterwards!) and now I've got a babby on the way, I dont wanna be a fat dad.
I currently weight around 17st. and I'm 5 10 tall, got weak knees (been trmpled on god knows how mant time when I played rugby, I take glucosamine which helps) and I have sciatic nerve problems on and off.
I know i'm gonna need to do loads of cardio, I'd like to drop arond 3st if poss then look at building some muscle around my chest and shoulders and strengthening my back and legs.
So would I need to avoid certain foods? apart from the obvious ones!
And are there many types of cardio that are fairly low impact? Runnings not a great option for me until I can build some strength in my knees and back
Any advice or pointer to training plans etc are welcomed
I'm able to train after 6pm every night and most of the weekend, I work from 8 until 5 and have a 40 minute commute each day so I'm already up at 6:30, any earlier would finish me off!!
Old 19-05-2009, 12:57 PM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Swimming is a great low impact workout, or anything in the water really. I never feel like I've worked out in the pool though, but thats just me.

Using the cross trainer and rowing machine are great cardio exercises that are a lot better on the knees than running, as there is less impact.

What is your diet like just now?
Old 19-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Was terrible tbh, over the last month or so i've made the effort to eat better. My main vice is flapjacks though Ever since I packed in smoking i've been hooked on them.
Typical day would be:
6:50am Bowl of cereal + White coffee with sugar
between 12-1 Sarnies, usually ham or similar (with no butter or mayo, it turns my stomach)
Flapjak at about 2pm
and main meal usually something out of the freezer (oven chip/waffles/fish fingers etc) about 7 ish then I'll end up snacking on the sofa until about 11 when I hit the hay.
I'm gonna join a gym, so if I go after work, i wont have eaten for around 4-5 hours.
I know I need to stop snacking, but if i'm doing something I dont even get hungry so I need to stay busy/active.
Old 19-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Daveysaff
Was terrible tbh, over the last month or so i've made the effort to eat better. My main vice is flapjacks though Ever since I packed in smoking i've been hooked on them.
Typical day would be:
6:50am Bowl of cereal + White coffee with sugar
between 12-1 Sarnies, usually ham or similar (with no butter or mayo, it turns my stomach)
Flapjak at about 2pm
and main meal usually something out of the freezer (oven chip/waffles/fish fingers etc) about 7 ish then I'll end up snacking on the sofa until about 11 when I hit the hay.
I'm gonna join a gym, so if I go after work, i wont have eaten for around 4-5 hours.
I know I need to stop snacking, but if i'm doing something I dont even get hungry so I need to stay busy/active.

You don't need to stop snacking, just snack on the right thing. Try eating 6 small meals a day as opposed to 3, this keeps your metabolism ticking over.

Chop the late night snacking and bin the waffles, chips, fish fingers etc. Get some chicken breasts and steamed veg in, grill a breast in the geroge foreman and microwave the veg, or even boil some fresh stuff if you have time/inclination to.
Old 19-05-2009, 03:15 PM
vroomtshh

Yeh thats exactly it. TBH it looks liek your snacking as your not eating enough.

1 flapjack wont do you any harm. But from what you've written above, and your weight/height etc. I'm guessing your missing out a lot of the snacks

Having been there, I know how hard it is to say exactly what your eating all the time.

Basically, eat more often, with healthier foods, and do some cardio.

Its the same answer for everyone. Its just stcicking to it thats hard.
Old 19-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Most of the snacking is at night, when theres fuck all to do other than watch the gogglebox. If I can get into a routine, I reckon I'll be able to stick at it.
What kind of stuff is gonna be best to have at lunch ? Bear in mind I have to make it at home and keep it in my desk drawer all day. Havent got any cooking facilities at work atm either.
What kinds of foods are full of carbs to? Keep reading that they should be avoided?
Ta for the replies so far

Last edited by Daveysaff; 19-05-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 19-05-2009, 03:58 PM
vroomtshh

My night time diet is roughly this.

5pm - 100g Tuna & 2 tbsp low fat natural yoghurt
Banana
6-7pm (ish) - TRAIN
7pm - 2scoops whey in water
8pm - 100g Fish (various)
80g Chicken
75g boiled wholewheat pasta
Veg

10pm - 2 oatcakes
50g Low Fat Soft Cheese

11.30pm - 100g Cottage cheese then bed.

So I'm hardly not eating at nights. And eating that kinda diet and training will see you build muscle and lose fat.

Trending Topics

Old 19-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

All the best with the Baby mate.

Benni.