Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Bit of help please?

Search this Thread

Old 26-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit of help please?

Right i put a thread up in GD asking about weight loss the other day, wasnt aware of this part of the forum

Im going into hospital for an op in 2 weeks, and trying to lose as much weight as i can, ive been doing Slimming World and ive lost 24lbs, but seem to be at a plateau, and need to get another 4-5lbs off ideally before i go into hospital

ive upped my water intake, im doing 10k steps a day, cant get to a gym as got a young baby at home and no childminder during day as Lee is at work

diet currently consists of quite a bit of protein, not a lot of carbs as they bloat me, and lots of fresh fruit and veg, a bit of calcium and fibre ( basic slimming world principles) not eating anything i shouldnt be, obviously have marg etc but no generally fatty foods, ive knocked choc on the head, dont eat crisps anyway.

Started using my dads turbo trainer, doing 20mins on it, at highest gear, and im pretty fooked when ive done that tbh, but how can i burn the most fat by exercise only? The turbo trainer is pretty hard work, but obviously as its fixed doesnt simulate hills and resistance as its stood still

Its been a long time since i trained 7 days a week and really really unfit, didnt realise how much its taking it outta me til i got on the bike yesterday

any advice on the best way to burn fat? i was wondering if going as fast as i can for say 2 mins then slow for 5 repeating that a few times would be a good way? or am i just talking crap?

Sarah
Old 27-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

just been weighed and lost 4lb this week
Old 27-08-2007, 04:09 PM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

your body burns the most amount of fat just BEFORE you hit the CV zone ie. brisk walking pace ie. 70%(ish) of effort.

go above this and the body holds onto fat as it thinks it's under attack and wants to store energy reserves for as long as possible.

brisk walking pace burns the most amount of fat. this is hard to grasp as you'd think that running your arse off getting out of breath and sweaty would burn most, but it doesnt. this is scientific fact proven again and again in hundreds of different journels etc, not just pub talk either!

so, brisk walking and minimal fat intake, and also go easy on carbs as they get stored if not fully burnt (ie. fat) keep protein intake relatively high as this will stop your body breaking down your muscles for energy.
Old 27-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

i eat a lot of protein anyway, and minimal carbs, so on the bike should i be using a heart rate monitor to determine what im burning? i can get some brisk walking in with finley so that aint a problem at all, roughly how far brisk walking should i be doing?

I suffered from shin splints quite severely when i used to run a lot, and find if i am walking fast it flares up again
Old 28-08-2007, 11:11 AM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

an 'upbeat' walk will do the trick

my fat burn zone is around 120-125 bpm (fairly easy walking). if i get a sweat on and monitor my heart rate it would be at about 135-140 bpm, so make sure your not sweating and panting...its just before this that you want to be.
Old 28-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

ok,but with me being quite unfit surely sweating and panting will happen earlier on?

tbh i dont tend to sweat and pant til the very end of the workout, i seem to be unable to hold a conversation properly though whilst on the bike as its slightly too hard to talk
Old 28-08-2007, 05:22 PM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by foreverwhite
your body burns the most amount of fat just BEFORE you hit the CV zone ie. brisk walking pace ie. 70%(ish) of effort.

go above this and the body holds onto fat as it thinks it's under attack and wants to store energy reserves for as long as possible.

brisk walking pace burns the most amount of fat. this is hard to grasp as you'd think that running your arse off getting out of breath and sweaty would burn most, but it doesnt. this is scientific fact proven again and again in hundreds of different journels etc, not just pub talk either!

so, brisk walking and minimal fat intake, and also go easy on carbs as they get stored if not fully burnt (ie. fat) keep protein intake relatively high as this will stop your body breaking down your muscles for energy.
although this is true its not 100%, the body will burn its "bad" fat for less intense workouts like walking, but for intense training the body will use its "good" fat stores initially to get the best performance from your muscles, but during recovery it'll switch to burning the "bad" fat.

doing intense workouts does take longer to burn the fat off but its better for you in the long run, as it also helps the muscles to become efficient.
if you can find a good balance between both intense and less intense training then thats the key to keeping the weight off.

Trending Topics

Old 28-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

i wouldnt describe my exercise as intense, its hard work but not really hard work if that makes sense

and is doing it every other day enough to keep up a steady weight loss? obviously its gonna be toning my legs and bum but my stomach and arms arent really getting a workout when im on the bike are they

Just want a way to lose as much body fat as possible whilst maintaining a steady weight loss

the water is working though im onto 5th day of having at least 4-5 pints and feeling good

Old 28-08-2007, 08:07 PM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

when i first started training in the gym years and years ago, the guys there would say if your training more then 40mins, 3 times a week your doing to much.
if your workouts are good and solid and not 5mins training 10mins resting then thats a good guide to go with, its very easy to over train when you first start, which will 1 lead to you not being able to stay with it due to time demands and 2 injure yourself.

keep in mind that this routine is something your going to do for the rest of your life so try to make it manageable. As you progress you'll find you'll be working harder and faster during the times you set for training.

if you want to tone up your arms and stomach, try adding some push-ups and crunches into your routines, theyre basic but they work! start off small, say no more then 5 reps in a set and build on that.

the waters a good thing, keeping your digestion system working efficiently is very key to helping with weight loss, so anything that will aid that is good.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 AM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

when i first started training in the gym years and years ago, the guys there would say if your training more then 40mins, 3 times a week your doing to much.
The above applies to heavy weight lifting rather than cardio activity for maximum weight loss.
If you have time than you should go for a run/jog every day (even twice - am/pm) if your after maximum weight loss, combined with a good diet of course.

It is true that you will burn more % of body fat when in your "zone" as mentioned above, but as its less effort you will burn less calories overall and after a good full pelt cardio session the fat burning process begins after training for anything upto 4 hours due to an increased metabolic rate in lamens turns. Its all swings and roundabouts, eat fewer cals than you use and take regular exercise and you will lose weight.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:11 PM
DaveMCMkIII
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

[quote="FastFordChris"]

although this is true its not 100%, the body will burn its "bad" fat for less intense workouts like walking, but for intense training the body will use its "good" fat stores initially to get the best performance from your muscles, but during recovery it'll switch to burning the "bad" fat[quote]

Ooookay, fat is fat, there is no such thing as good or bad fat. the reason you use it as energy during less intense exercise is that energy can be sourced from it fine, when exercise gets more intense your body cannot get energy mainly from it as you cannot get it rapidly enough
Old 11-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

well i lost 6lb in the 2 weeks, and i lost 3lb off my operation, so doing quite well ive lost 2st 1lb now, still got another stone or so to go but im happier

only downside is now i cant move my arms or do anything at all for 6 weeks

cant even brush my hair it looks great