Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

FRST starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 18-12-2005, 11:17 PM
PaulRS
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRST starting problem

Hi Guys,

Basically my FRST won't start. Everything was going fine until yesterday evening - i went to fill up with petrol, and after paying for it i went to go and she wouldn't start - turned over but wouldn't fire. Pushed her away from the pumps, did a few checks and tried again - kept grinding and every now and again she fired slightly and then she started. Drove her for about 35 miles no problems at all (never switched off tho). Parked her up for the night and went to her today and she won't start again - this time she won't start at all. Every now and again she fires and sounds like she might but then she doesn't.

I have checked for a spark in each cylinder and they are all fine. Also checked the petrol is getting out of the fuel filter, which it is no problem. However it doesn't seem to be getting into the cylinders - the plugs are bone dry even after grinding over for a period of time.

Seems like it may be electrical/injectors related but as i said, when i did get her started yesterday she ran fine. Can anyone shed any light or help me at all?

CheeRS,
Paul
Old 19-12-2005, 11:11 AM
fiestar5t
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

check your pump under your rear seat mate mine was doing a simular thing turned out to be a loose conection on the plug to the fuel pump, working fine now!!! worth a try??
Old 19-12-2005, 11:19 AM
PaulRS
Virgin

Thanks, I'll check and see however I think it is more a problem at the injector end because i loosened the bolt on the fuel line coming out of the filter and turned the ignition on and the petrol came flying out.

Think i need to check that the ecu is pulsing the injectors.....

so annoying
Old 19-12-2005, 11:22 AM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

check the CPS, common problem with plugs breaking down.

also a bit of wd40 in some of the electrical plug wouldnt do any harm, had a prob like this ages and ages ago, turned out to be water in one of the pulgs
Old 19-12-2005, 02:42 PM
rand
Regular Contributor

Carry out a compression test on every cylinder mine done that and one of the pistons had cracked between the rings so I bought a cossie instead

let me know how it goes

rand
Old 19-12-2005, 09:43 PM
mathewwebber
PassionFord Regular

Was gonna suggest the CPS sensor also
Old 20-12-2005, 11:36 AM
PaulRS
Virgin

Thanks for the replies lads. I shall try each one and see how it goes. Tried wd40 on the connectors last nite but no joy.

If the CPS is gone will I still get a spark as i am doing?

Hope its not compression - engine only has 8k on it after zvh conversion

Thanks,
Paul
Old 20-12-2005, 04:56 PM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the CPS shouldnt be gone, more likely the plug or wire, but trying anohter wont hurt, any CPS will do as long as its the same, doesnt have to be from same car, i.e FRST
Old 20-12-2005, 04:59 PM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

just had a thought, as a mate had a prob that was intemitant similar, we change the fuel pump and it didnt work, i "tripped " the fuel cut off switch and reset it, never done it again, if it was switch or pump im not sure, but my money was on the switch.

may be worth trying that.

if you dunno where switch is, its behind the passage side footwell trim in the front
Old 20-12-2005, 05:33 PM
PaulRS
Virgin

Cheers Jay, i'll give it a shot!

Paul
Old 20-12-2005, 06:50 PM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

let me know how ya get on mate
Old 20-12-2005, 11:28 PM
PaulRS
Virgin

Unfortunately it wasn't the problem.

Got a scanner put on the ecu and tested the injectors for a pulse and it would seem they are not getting a pulse.

The scanner just revealed that there is a wiring or management problem.

Getting a loan of a CPS tomorrow to give that a shot.

If anyone has any other ideas about why the ecu isn't pulsing the injectors let me know!

Paul
Old 20-12-2005, 11:47 PM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

how did you try it? i tried once with a meter and didnt get a reading but they were working,

the only way they wont work is if any of the wiring is fooked, i would go back and do the wd40 thing in all the plugs inc the big round main plug sat on the little bracket on the right of the inlet.

its all rigged to the EDIS in a way mate, have you tried another edis? or even wd40 the plug?

also i take it you have checked relays and fuses? the green relay in the fues box has and does cause problems, and a few people are having them at the mo, lol, check it, not saying its that but it take 2 mins to check, any sign of black on the pins clean it with wet and dry and put back, wont hurt to do that anyway really, lol
Old 21-12-2005, 09:05 AM
PaulRS
Virgin

It was tried with a meter, it showed a slight pulse when turning the ignition on but that was it, nothing when trying to start.

I have tried the WD40 but maybe should try it again just in case!

I'm getting another scanner put on the ecu that should go into more detail when reading faults so i'll see what that turns up, just not sure when i can get the scanner so would be nice to sort it without it.

I checked all the fuses at the weekend, but not the relays. Maybe I should give them a look!

Thanks for all the advice Jay, much appreciated!

Paul
Old 21-12-2005, 03:00 PM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no worries mate, i know what it like to have a prob.
Old 22-12-2005, 06:22 PM
niceRST
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

could be the plastic piston in the fuel pump, it will still show a voltage over it even though it has gone
Old 23-12-2005, 08:27 AM
PaulRS
Virgin

I think we have now sourced the problem - well nearly.

Turns out the problem is around/in the fuse box. Can now get her to start but it all seems to depend how the wires/fusebox is sitting. Not sure if its a relay or the actual fusebox itself. Got a new relay coming today but failing that going to have to get another fusebox. Once she's started she goes fine, unless you move the fusebox/wires and she nearly cuts out and then picks back up again.

At least the general area is now sourced!
Old 24-12-2005, 12:34 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Hello mate

Can you hear your fuel pump at all?

When you turn the key it should prime for 1-2 seconds. FRST's have a "limpback" mode, which means incase of a fault, the engine will run with compromised performance and economy, using the EDIS4 module as a standalone device.

If the fuel pump should stay on permentantly when the key is turned this is a BIG give away of what is more than likely an ECU fault.

Personally i doubt its the CPS as u wouldnt get spark otherwise, the CPS is the only thing that allows the management to produce the spark.

I'd say maybe u have an injector fault/wiring fault. Check the multi plug for the injector loom, also check that the ecu hasnt had water leaking on it and that the ECU plug is firmly secured in place.

And ive now just noticed you think its the fusebox so ill post this anyway but you will probably just ignore it lol
Old 24-12-2005, 01:05 PM
PaulRS
Virgin

Thanks for the reply anyway lad! All help in situations like this is much appreciated!

Seem to have her fixed now - put a new relay in her and all seems to be fine after an ecu reset!

Thanks for all help!

Paul