Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Orion 130ps - Pushing 150 bhp and is extremely slow

Search this Thread

Old 29-08-2005, 08:20 AM
reech_79
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orion 130ps - Pushing 150 bhp and is extremely slow

I have recently bought my orion and it is so slow. I had a 105ps version and that was faster! I thought it might of had a 105 lump put it but I can feel the power low down, and having already had a 105 I wouldn't say the engines been swapped. The car has been chipped, induction, boost valve, de-cat and full system exhaust 2" bore - somewhere in the region of 150bhp. Sometimes it will shift and sometimes lags but never really moves like it should. Once it gets to 4000rpm it seems to stop speeding up and just farts about.
If I put my foot down or try a fast start it feels like somethings slipping. It feels like i'm getting wheel spin but the wheels are hardly turning and the front end moves all over the road. I thought it might be clutch slip? I've had a clutch slip before and it was nothing like this though.
I'm wondering whether it could be the gearbox? It has a lifter to put it in reverse, like on the xr4x4's etc. Like I said I had a 105 and this didn't have one, I thought the boxes from these two would be pretty similar.

I'm pretty puzzled so any help or advice would be great. Cheers
Old 29-08-2005, 09:49 PM
john_p_b
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

management problem imo. was it chipped before the cat was removed? could be a lack of back pressure from de-cating it, could be a faulty boost valve causing incorrect fuel pressure.

if the clutch is slipping then all you'll be getting is lots of revs with very little motion and a horrible burning smell!
Old 30-08-2005, 08:41 AM
reech_79
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea it was chipped before de-catting it. It does feel like theres not enough back pressure.
The exhaust is blowing, so yesterday I had a good look at it and it's A1. I've had a quick check at the manifold but theres no visible cracks or anything. Could it possibly be the manifold blowing thats causing the problems? It's hard to get to the back of it without having it up on the ramp.
Thanks for the reply