Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

stud and nut kit

Search this Thread

Old 26-07-2005, 12:10 AM
supatune442
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stud and nut kit

Im having problems with my cossie head lifting,its running a T35 at approx 26 psi (410 bhp) runs lovely but on a recent track day overheated .I know its the head lifting when driven hard for long periods,ive just bought an ARP stud and nut kit ,not used them before are
they a waste of time ,should i just go for the proper long stud conversion or will they hold head down ,boost peaks at 29 holds 26 psi.. your experiences and advice are welcome..
Old 05-08-2005, 06:44 PM
tomsxr3i
Virgin

for the psi that u r running u need to go with studs and nuts as these are not stretch bolts
the standard one are stretching on the boost u are running change to studs and nuts and problem solved
Old 05-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

If used correctly a stud and nut kit will provide a better,more equal and more acurate torque down. When using stud and nuts you must ensure the thread are oiled before fitment and the block threads must be perfectly clean and dry. Also if using a metal gasket you must make sure the block face and head are straight and clean as the metal gaskets are very unforgiving with imperfection.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:44 AM
july1
PassionFord Regular

I'have ARP fitted but I'm only on stage 3 (330bhp) it does the job perfectly.
But for more power it may be smart to go with the long studs. I already saw broken blocs around the treads for the studs. I guess 400bhp is about the limite where both can by used so you will get all and nothing to help your choice!

If your plan is to stay in this stage for a moment fit your ARP kit. if you want more power then you'll replace it with long studs when rebuilding/upgrading the engine.
another good point will be to fit a Cometic head gasket with the ARP or a WRC with the long studs