Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Thermostat Housing for Mk4 Fiesta - need advice/inspiration

Search this Thread

Old 31-07-2022, 04:55 PM
Louis3016
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat Housing for Mk4 Fiesta - need advice/inspiration

So…
a few months back my thermostat housing packed up on my Mk4 Fiesta. I had a look online and ordered a proper pukka part and when it arrived I was fairly confident I could manage the stat and housing swap myself. Having researched online it became apparent I needed to take off the headlight and alternator to gain access to the bolts. I did all of this (was well chuffed) and then I had the misfortune of discovering that I could not access the bolts at all well from the location.

I took the car into the garage as I needed it working pronto and paid nearly 200 quid for it to be fixed! Not including parts… all was well since (around 3 months) until now…
I recently changed my HCV as the old one had packed up and I managed to do this myself - but about 3 days after the Thermostat Housing began leaking again, I think perhaps the fact that the pressure in the system has increased or something and this has made the seals let go?!

anyway - besides the point. I obviously need to change the leaking thermostat housing again and am not much inclined to pay another 200 quid getting it swapped when it’s literally 4 bloody bolts! So has anyone got any hints, tips, hacks or inspiration about how to get the thing off?

I must mention that last time I attempted this job I did not have anyway of getting the car elevated so was attempting it from the bonnet. This time I can get the car in the air and was wondering whether perhaps the underside bolts are easier to get at when you’re underneath the car? I just would really appreciate if somebody could give me some pointers or a step by step at how to access the bolts and what they have done themselves to successfully remove the thermostat housing?

I understand this is a problem part on the Mk4 Fiesta and would assume this won’t be the last time I will be changing this…
thanks in advance - Louis.