Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Sapphire Cosworth Electric ABS Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 01:56 PM
meridian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sapphire Cosworth Electric ABS Pump

Just a quick one. My 2wd Sapphire Cosworth appears to have cooked it's electric ABS servo pump today. Had car out of garage, and running whilst I cleaned it. Upon getting back in it 10 minutes later, it became apparent that I have the ABS light up, a solid brake pedal, and that the pump had got red hot (burn your fingers to the touch, and smelling type hot)

I can only assume that the pump has seized, causing it to overheat

Couple of questions. Is is just a case of the 2 slightly tricky bolts and multiplug to remove it from the main housing ? And once removed, does anyone have experience or could recommend someone to rewind the motor

TIA Meridian

Last edited by meridian; 02-04-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:03 AM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

After replacing the pump, check if it's not running continuously. That will also cause overheating.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:33 AM
meridian

Understood. Pump wasn't running though as car was quietly idling away whilst I washed it ! Confident it's seized, and has now got so hot will only be salvagable by professional repair

I have located a secondhand one but has slightly different outer casing. I know there were variations over the years, and parts shared with Granada/Scorpio. Anyone know for sure if they are all interchangeable ?

I'll probably just buy it, and suck and see, as they are thin on the ground
Old 07-04-2021, 04:50 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by meridian
Understood. Pump wasn't running though as car was quietly idling away whilst I washed it ! Confident it's seized, and has now got so hot will only be salvagable by professional repair

I have located a secondhand one but has slightly different outer casing. I know there were variations over the years, and parts shared with Granada/Scorpio. Anyone know for sure if they are all interchangeable ?

I'll probably just buy it, and suck and see, as they are thin on the ground
The system is the same as a high spec Sierra or Granada (Tevas system)

Martin
Old 09-04-2021, 10:00 AM
meridian

Yes, indeed. Unfortunately parts for all the Teves equpped cars, be it Sierra Cosworth, Granada, 24v Scorpio etc, are thin on the ground and hard to source. I've sent the motor off to an electrical repair shop and will wait to hear back as to whether they can overhaul it. Fingers crossed...