Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Mondeo TDCI engine swap - TDDI?

Old 27-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Rufusw5
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo TDCI engine swap - TDDI?

Hi All,

I've been offered a 2003 TDCI mondeo for scrap value with injector issue's, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience swapping a TDDI engine in? I know they're pretty solid, and seem to be cheap and plentiful.

I'm guessing I'd need the complete engine (obviously +injectors manifolds fuel pump starter etc), engine wiring harness and the ecu..

On paper it's an easy enough engine swap, has anyone tried it, are there any unforseen issue's?

I spent some time googling it expecting loads of people would have tried it given the troublesome early TDCI's and comparatively solid TDDI's, but either i'm looking in the wrong place or it seems not....

And.. I guess i'd need the ECU to be from the same engine. Do mondeo's still have transponder keys?

Cheers
Old 31-08-2014, 10:00 AM
karl mcghee
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by Rufusw5
Hi All,

I've been offered a 2003 TDCI mondeo for scrap value with injector issue's, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience swapping a TDDI engine in? I know they're pretty solid, and seem to be cheap and plentiful.

I'm guessing I'd need the complete engine (obviously +injectors manifolds fuel pump starter etc), engine wiring harness and the ecu..

On paper it's an easy enough engine swap, has anyone tried it, are there any unforseen issue's?

I spent some time googling it expecting loads of people would have tried it given the troublesome early TDCI's and comparatively solid TDDI's, but either i'm looking in the wrong place or it seems not....

i have some wiring diagrams

doesnt work they are completely different wiring all together i go on a transit forum an some one done this and could never get it going

if you were to take this on it would have to be the full wiring system from the donner including clocks/ecu keys transponder ring etc

And.. I guess i'd need the ECU to be from the same engine. Do mondeo's still have transponder keys?

Cheers
yes

even the injectors will cost you 400 quid
Old 31-08-2014, 10:17 AM
chris cdti
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't forget you need the electric fuel pump for the tddi
Old 17-09-2014, 09:31 PM
forevaford
PassionFord Regular

just about to do this conversion myself mate to my 2003 tdci estate. it lookts a bit tricky though as the engine harness is integrated with the main car harness so dash out and all the rest of it. im having a go though as im sick of spending 600 on injectors every 2 years!