Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Mk1 Focus RS smoking after engine re-build

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Unkle_bootz
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk1 Focus RS smoking after engine re-build

Hi, ive recently purchased a mk1 FRS with gt28 set-up, 2nd day i bought it the fuel pump started breaking up and then died later on in the day, had a spare and replaced it that evening, then on the 4th day it started smoking and mis-firing, i carried out compression test and found cylinders 1+2 too be dramatically lower than the other two 60psi + 75 psi. I removed the cylinder head too find the head gasket too have blown between 1+2, the pistons had all starting too melt around the edges and slightly picking up on the bores and the head had multiple cracks between the spark plug holes and valve seats, so i carried out an engine rebuild with honing bores, new genuine pistons and rings etc, new head etc and fitted standard gt25 back and standard cams (previously had piper bp270 cams) now it drives like a dream with no smoke at all EXCEPT twice it has happened too me now in 500 miles, i will be sitting at a junction waiting too pull away and all of a sudden i get a massive cloud of blue smoke from exhaust, but this has only happened twice in 500 miles :S and the rest of time it is perfect, please note i have been driving very sensibly too run in piston rings etc. if anyone has same problem and/or could enlighten me too what this could be it would be great as im very paranoid now!! Lol
Old 24-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Churtz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Unkle_bootz
Hi, ive recently purchased a mk1 FRS with gt28 set-up, 2nd day i bought it the fuel pump started breaking up and then died later on in the day, had a spare and replaced it that evening, then on the 4th day it started smoking and mis-firing, i carried out compression test and found cylinders 1+2 too be dramatically lower than the other two 60psi + 75 psi. I removed the cylinder head too find the head gasket too have blown between 1+2, the pistons had all starting too melt around the edges and slightly picking up on the bores and the head had multiple cracks between the spark plug holes and valve seats, so i carried out an engine rebuild with honing bores, new genuine pistons and rings etc, new head etc and fitted standard gt25 back and standard cams (previously had piper bp270 cams) now it drives like a dream with no smoke at all EXCEPT twice it has happened too me now in 500 miles, i will be sitting at a junction waiting too pull away and all of a sudden i get a massive cloud of blue smoke from exhaust, but this has only happened twice in 500 miles :S and the rest of time it is perfect, please note i have been driving very sensibly too run in piston rings etc. if anyone has same problem and/or could enlighten me too what this could be it would be great as im very paranoid now!! Lol

Too sensibly can be a bad thing when bedding rings in. A bit of lower RPM boost is good to spread the rings into the bores. What running in oil are you using?

That being said it shoudlnt cause irratic smoking. Is it always when youre sat still? Ive seen blocked breaters on these to cause it to smoke at idle - basically the crankcase pressure goes too high. Worth a look.

Matt
Old 25-08-2014, 12:06 PM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default oil

as above breathers or turbo seal?
Old 25-08-2014, 12:13 PM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

Mine smoked just the same after turbo seals had gone. Have you used an oil restrictor on the turbo feed line?
Old 25-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Unkle_bootz
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both them ideas sound plausible, do you know what breathers tend to get blocked? Are the PCV's prone for failing?
Also the gt28 had a braided oil feed and i just found a random banjo to fit it to the gt25 as it was a different thread to gt28, i wasn't aware that it required restriction for the oil flow so that could also be causing me a problem.. What size restrictor would you recommend? 1mm? 1.5mm? Thanks for you help!
Tom