Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Restoring a car and sound deading

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 PM
simonmcf
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Restoring a car and sound deading

Hi all, I'm starting to piece back my erst and have a few questions.

1. I took off the heavy sound deadening on the bulk head behind the dash. It fell apart and it stinked so it went in the bin. Do I need to put something in it's place. I was thinking something like dynamat but it's expensive and was wondering is there other alternatives or is it even needed?

2. There was some foam under the dash and this went in the bin also cos it stinked! Again do I need to replace this? What's it for?

3. There is some things like the heater blower box that had a foam sealer on it. Again this was manky and it's not making a good seal. Any alteratatives? Also the rear lights have a foam gasket. These need to be replaced. I was thinking on using some lined wooden floor underlay? It looks like the same stuff?

I'm not not a cheap ass and I'm trying to get a good quality build but at the same time trying to be smart in terms of where money is spent.

If anyone has any good cheats or used things not orginal used for cars please share.

Appreciate any comments. Cheers simon
Old 05-08-2014, 12:59 AM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

Think the deadening stops the panel drumming, the foam, I guess, stops heater cables/pipes and wiring looms rattling and vibrating.
All I'd say, it'll be a total ball ache of a job, ripping the dash back out because something's making a noise...