Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Zetec s

Search this Thread

Old 18-10-2013, 07:38 PM
SCOTTY17
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zetec s

Help am only getting 30.4 mpg out of my ford fiesta 1.6zetec s it does have k&n filter but shouldn't make that much difference it only standard filter. I've herd some one is getting 60 mpg from same car. HELP PLEASE !!!!!
Old 18-10-2013, 09:23 PM
STeve
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Official PassionFord BANNED Trader
Super Moderator

Received 869 Likes on 697 Posts

I would say high 30s is where they should be, but they can drink petrol and cone filters dont help thats for sure
Old 18-10-2013, 09:38 PM
SBT83
Not Crazy, just Unwell

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, Are you the owner of lead feet?

Cone filters if driven as you would an air box in theory should be more efficient. Cleaner colder volume of air creating a purer combustion along with a good regular service.

But with the sound and slight increase in power it's unlikely to be driven steadily by the average person.

Plus more Eco friendly than paper filters and last years so cheaper too. I've done plenty of research owning a filter company a few years back
Old 22-10-2013, 01:00 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Ford claim 40+ MPG in the heavier Focus! Given that these claims are never seen in the real world.

But it depends on your driving style and the conditions, i.e. if you are doing town driving this will equate to a considerable decrease in performance.

Martin
Old 22-10-2013, 01:04 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by SBT83
OP, Are you the owner of lead feet?

Cone filters if driven as you would an air box in theory should be more efficient. Cleaner colder volume of air creating a purer combustion along with a good regular service.

But with the sound and slight increase in power it's unlikely to be driven steadily by the average person.

Plus more Eco friendly than paper filters and last years so cheaper too. I've done plenty of research owning a filter company a few years back
That is not quite true, in some cases fitting a filter can make an engine run worse, if affected by heat soak, for example. Imo a decent panel filter is better than a cone and that the latter just create noise.

In the case and others the OE filter has a 'snorkel' fitted, so cool air is induced.

Martin
Old 22-10-2013, 01:35 PM
SBT83
Not Crazy, just Unwell

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by martysmartie
That is not quite true, in some cases fitting a filter can make an engine run worse, if affected by heat soak, for example. Imo a decent panel filter is better than a cone and that the latter just create noise. In the case and others the OE filter has a 'snorkel' fitted, so cool air is induced. Martin
Very true. Fitting a heat shield can offer minimal protection. Cold air feeds are petty essential to a cramped engine bay where a filter is susceptible to heat. Other options are arguable like stainless filters will keep cooler than a foam or cotton but this offers less filtration than the other two.

And I have to agree on a decent panel filter in an air box can provide better gains than a heat soaked filter