Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Problems starting focus tdci in wet weather .............Help

Search this Thread

Old 19-11-2012, 06:17 PM
keasty25
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems starting focus tdci in wet weather .............Help

Hi all,
Im new to this forum so if this isnt the right area to post this i apologise.
Im having a problem recently with my Focus Tdci 2003 starting when it has been raining or damp weather and has been left overnight or long periods opf time, it turns over but struggles to fire its like im trying to start an old tractor engine, and the glow plug light flashes, im not sure if there is water somehow getting into the engine bay, i have had it serviced about 2 months ago when they replaced the cabin filter it broke the scuttle panel seal thus leading to a wet passanger footwell which i have sorted now and no water is getting in that way, some people said it may the Egr valve but that have been cleaned.
I thought i would to and get some advice from you guys before i take it to the garage and get stung with a huge bill
Has anyone had this problem? If so what solved it?

Many thanks In advance Chris
Old 19-11-2012, 08:28 PM
keasty25
Virgin

anybody????
Old 20-11-2012, 02:38 AM
black_jack
Black Jack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A new battery will make a big difference to help the car start after being left for a while or in cold or damp weather, best to get a high spec / heavy duty one and check if it needs to be a silver calcium one

who serviced it/ what was done (in detail)/ when did you start having the trouble with your engine?

the EGR valve can be a source of trouble, you don't need it, get rid of it by fitting a blanking plate, solid (no holes to let gasses through) stainless steel 3+mm, available online for about £5 - car will run much better/ will still pass an MOT/ you should have no problems due to the plate

the inlet manifold will need cleaned too - but with the EGR blanked, it may have a chance to un-gunk its elf

you may have faulty glow plug/s - this is cheap to replace - some other potential problems are not (eg - injectors)

you can aquire a code reader online for about £20 that can read your fault codes, - good investment / may save you money the other thing is do you have a hanes manual? - another good investment
Old 20-11-2012, 05:01 AM
keasty25
Virgin

Good morning thankyou for the reply,
I haved owned the car since the summer and never hadany prolem starting it then, and it only really seems to have a prolem when it has been raining.
When it doesnt turn over and start its lumpy until 2500rpm then give it a nice big rev and a puff of smoke comes out and then runs asolutely fine from there on.
I do have some new glow plugs here ut havent got round to fitting them, and this being my first diesel a little unsure :s

Thanks Chris
Old 20-11-2012, 07:51 AM
ajb100
Virgin

Another vote for glow plugs