Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Innovate MTX-L gauge wiring help - Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:02 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Innovate MTX-L gauge wiring help - Sierra

Just a little advice needed, i have the 3 gauges in the car wired through the dim switch but the instructions below state you can't with this gauge, i don't understand why as it's only a feed from the switch or do i just connect the white wire (fig) 3 to the lighting stalk feed wire?

Any advice please

Originally Posted by INNOVATE MTX-L
The MTX-L has 5 stripped wire ends.

1. Connect the RED wire to a switched 12V source. A switched 12V source goes on as soon as the ignition on the car is on. Make sure the connection is fused with a minimum fuse size of 3A.

2. Connect the BLACK wire to a ground source. Avoid noisy ground sources, such as grounds used for radio and or ignition sources.

3. Connect the WHITE wire to a headlight power wire (a wire that supplies current to the headlights). This enables the display to dim for better night time viewing. DO NOT CONNECT THIS WIRE TO THE HEADLIGHT DIMMING WIRE. Connection to this rheostat type of switch will cause the gauge to malfunction. If you chose not to utilize the dimming feature, connect the WHITE wire to ground.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 AM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

is their a mixup between the headlight dip and dash dimming switch chris
Old 11-11-2012, 12:24 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sierras don't have dip mate, or do you mean have they got it mixed up - I can't work out how dim will work if not wiring through the dimming switch, or does the wiring go backward if you like and through the dim switch first the through the stalk? Confused now
Old 11-11-2012, 01:02 PM
JFB Tech
Not entirely sane

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sierras do have dip beam, all cars do.

The gauge is designed to illuminate brightly during daylight and dim when you put your headlights on i.e. when its getting dark. For this to work, you need a feed from the headlight power supply to tell the gauge to dim.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:47 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sorry I got confused with headlight dip, for some reason I had in my head like angle adjusting - right this is going to be a fucker to wire in now, so the white wire goes to the power wire on the stalk and I presume I can take the red live feed from the same point?

Next question, on the stalk which plug is for the lights the inner smaller plug or the outer larger one?

Wiring isn't something I enjoy doing LOL
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 AM
black_jack
Black Jack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason you cannot connect the gauge to the dimmer switch/ rheostat is because the gauge works in the reverse way -

when the white wire detects a 12v signal, the gauge dims, this is connected to the lights, it can only have 2 levels of broghtness, bright (for daylight) or dim (for night) it cannot have a dimmer or connect to the cars dimmer/ rheostat because of the design of the gauge/ the way it is wired

if you connect the white wire to the sidelights/ light switch the gauge will dim when you switch your lights on - i don't recommend connecting it to headlights / dip/ main beam or it won't dim untill you switch your main or dipped beam on (whichever it is (wrongly) connected to)

the confusing thing about this gauge is the fact that when a 12v power is connected to the white wire the gauge dims, and if this wire is earthed it stays bright ("daylight" mode)

If you connect the white wire to the sidlights/ main 0n/off light switch on the car (not the dimmer) the gauge should come on (brightly) when the cars ignition comes on and it should dim when you put your sidelights on (and stay dimmed when you put your main beam/ dipped beam on)

as before - it will not work with the cars dimmer
It may be possible to get your other gauges to match the way the Innovate gauge dims - it might look neater

i hate wiring cars too - and im an electronics engineer!

PS - you must connect it (the white wire) to a sidelight feed that does not dim with the cars instrument cluster - eg - the sidelight feed from the light switch

Last edited by black_jack; 12-11-2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: fix