Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Cougar V6 Duratec Throttle Hang Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 PM
ChrisGreg
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cougar V6 Duratec Throttle Hang Fixed!

Been struggling with throttle hang on my V6 Cougar for more than a year and I'm so damn happy I've finally found the cure I thought anybody out there with the same problem might be interested to know about it. I'm pretty sure yours will be caused by the same thing. I thought it was the idle air valve at first and I've heard others blame the emission control in the ECU.

The symptoms are revs not dropping between gear changes. There are a variety of "fixes" out there including the idea on the Ford wiki that involves sticking a copper plug in one of the engine breather pipes.

Here's the likely fix instead of the botch job. Standing in front of your car and looking at the inlet manifold you will see two black plastic breather pipes running front to back, on the throttle body (right) side of the manifold. One goes back and to the right and into the brake master cylinder. The other is the one you want to inspect.

It goes back and to the left, then splits into several smaller plastic pipes (on my car red/green/white/grey), from the inlet manifold to the EGR valve. Inspect these small pipes close to the ignition coil carefully and you will probably find one or more of them cracked or broken off. The good news is Ford still manufacture the pipes and the whole assembly costs about 30 quid. Finis number is 3951013.

Applies to all Duratec V6 vehicles including Mundano ST24 and ST200.

Hope it helps