Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Fiesta Zetec S. Overheating?!?

Search this Thread

Old 15-07-2012, 03:23 PM
mbmdp
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fiesta Zetec S. Overheating?!?

Hi Guys,

Hope you don't mind my first post on this forum is a problem solving issue.

We have a 2001 Fiesta zetec s.

Electric fan cuts in quite often but doesn't over heat. The electric fan will come on, cools down and about 5 minutes later it will come back on. If we have the heater turned on hot but on the 0 option it doesn't do this. There is no gunk in the oil, it doesn't lose oil or water.

Not sure if this is relevant but we had the cam belt kit and water pump replaced in January and we cannot remember if this fault was there before.

Any advice is much appreciated

Kind Regards

Mbmdp
Old 15-07-2012, 03:49 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Sounds normal to me? If the fan is cutting in and out and there is no signs of over heating or coolant loss then I wouldn't worry. Does it have air con? If you've got that switched on it will make the cooling fan come on.
Old 15-07-2012, 03:59 PM
mbmdp
Virgin

Originally Posted by RichieST
Sounds normal to me? If the fan is cutting in and out and there is no signs of over heating or coolant loss then I wouldn't worry. Does it have air con? If you've got that switched on it will make the cooling fan come on.
Hi! Thank you very much for your help. I do hope that there is nothing wrong as it is a worry to me that it could have been the HG.
Old 15-07-2012, 04:40 PM
K464TGV
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2001 ZS which developed an overheating problem which was linked to the Heater Control Valve, these have a tendancy to need replacing after 30/40k miles and the tell tale sign is when you put the temp dial to cold/hot and the reverse comes through the vents. Once its replaced its important to change the thermostat as well and ensure the system is thoroughly bled as they are prone to air locks. Although I had this all done I did still from time to time continue to have some overheating. Eventually I went to a Ford dealership as it bugged me and it was a known problem on the Ford tech bulletin site that the Sigma SE as fitted to the ZS suffered from a lack of coolant pipe in part of the system, I had the extra pipe work installed and for the remaining 5 years I had the car it never overheated again. Having said all of this waffle if the fan is cutting in, then the thermostat works and as long as the temp gauge isn't going beyond 3/4's then its fine..that is without you having to switch the heating on. All the best
Old 15-07-2012, 04:43 PM
K464TGV
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, on another note its very unlikely its the HG as the Sigma SE was one of the first Ford engines (well I say Ford as its actually a Yamaha derived engine) that was all alloy and lazer cut so risk of HG failure is very unusual....Thanks again
Old 15-07-2012, 04:56 PM
mbmdp
Virgin

Originally Posted by K464TGV
Sorry, on another note its very unlikely its the HG as the Sigma SE was one of the first Ford engines (well I say Ford as its actually a Yamaha derived engine) that was all alloy and lazer cut so risk of HG failure is very unusual....Thanks again
Thank you, what you have said makes a lot of sense to my husband and not me loll (typical girl)!

Will try what you have suggested, thank you again
Old 21-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Rogeyboy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to drag this up...
My Mk5 ZS has starting overheating in traffic, the cooling fan doesnt switch on.
I can't seem to find a fan switch to check if the cooling fan is working?