Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

TDCI Mondeo 2.0L rough idle and noisey

Search this Thread

Old 19-05-2012, 08:47 PM
sto6enc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDCI Mondeo 2.0L rough idle and noisey

Hi to everyone

This is my first post, I did look for an intro section but cant seem find one, I have been scouring the net for some answers but I think im getting bogged down with so much info about the problems its a job to know what to pin point to, basically its a Mondeo 2.0L 115hp diesel with a few miles on the clock, From a cold startup it sounds like the engine is gonna destroy itself accompanied with horrendous diesel knock, rough idling and smoke, after a few minutes it runs normally, drove it back last night and didnt miss a beat 1st hundred miles kept to 60 and it averaged 60.1mpg, drove it today and a few times it settled to a rough idle and stinking of diesel so at a guess is it likely to be dodgy injectors or would it possibly be the airflow sensor ?? or turbo ?? the previous owner said when accelerating hard the glow plug lamp would flash, lose power into limp home mode but I have tried my best to replicate this but nothing, anyway im guessing injectors by the noisy startup but any thoughts on this will be gratefully appreciated, thx in advance.

Last edited by sto6enc; 31-05-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 25-05-2012, 09:49 AM
sto6enc

recoded the ecu with the injector codes, problem solved except no1 Injector is probably on its way out, at least its not chuffing billious amounts of smoke
Old 04-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Trademeister
Virgin

Hi mate. Having the same probs with my 2004 tdci 130. My turbo actuator was stuck. Ive freed it off now and its ok but im having the issues you have mentioned too. How do you recode the injectors and where do you find the codes?? Thanks. Mark
Old 05-06-2012, 08:40 AM
sto6enc

I had to scoure the internet for info and what I found out is the ecu loses the codes after several million pulses of the injectors, took it to my m8ts place who recoded them for me, the codes are either on the top rear of the cambox cover, or on the timing chain cover from what I found out (or stamped on the injectors themselves), neither of these were any good for me as the labels were ruined by whatever, but when the computer was plugged into the car it read the codes so we just re-entered them, dramatic improvement but still not correct, sourcing some injectors for refurb then will try again, I also cleaned the EGR and the airflow sensor, the noisy startup caused by over fuelling probably a leaky injector as once its running its fine even tho the injector will still leak so still needs replacing.

Last edited by sto6enc; 31-05-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 13-03-2013, 04:57 PM
leemac
Virgin

Hi

Ever get this sorted? Got the exact same issues myself!

Lee
Old 14-03-2013, 01:43 PM
sto6enc

Right I gotta think about this now, Injector 3 in cylinder 4 is leaking (but not much) when the engine is off fuel rail pressure is lost past injector 3 which causes diesel to pool on top of the piston, when the engine is started plumes of unburnt diesel fills the street but 10 or 15 seconds or so and its gone so needs replacing but as of yet I havent done it, after a few minutes the car is normal and really flies, the clattery diesel knock sound is the leaking injector misfiring first thing, once its warm its fine, these are only work arounds of course, it needs a new injector the car was seriously abused by its previous owner and its a bit of a dog im not overly bothered, payed next to nothing for it, put 12 months on it

Last edited by sto6enc; 31-05-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 18-03-2013, 03:28 AM
black_jack
Black Jack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The inlet manifold needs cleaned out as well as the EGR, fitting a solid EGR blanking plate fixes a faulty EGR and stops the muck getting in to the inlet manifold.

Trending Topics

Old 05-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Paul Wilson
Virgin

Hi sorry to jump on this but stumbled on it and have my own probs, 53 reg tdci 130 lumpy runner but fine at speed though it cuts out if to much gas used and heater plug light comes on I have autocom cdp+ no errors in it and injector levels all seem level around -0.17 I've also cleaned the egr then blanked it with no effect other symptom is it has a rattle like a tappet sound that eases when warm but is still apparent otherwise it drives fine and no bad smoke any suggestions guys and apologies for jumping on this thread great forum
Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 PM
lewiseyers
newbee

so has any one completely solved the problem as i have these symptoms to as per

mondeo tdci unsolveable problem thread... im thinking recode injectors and then electronic actuator replacement
Old 18-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Ptgautos2012
Virgin

Originally Posted by Paul Wilson
Hi sorry to jump on this but stumbled on it and have my own probs, 53 reg tdci 130 lumpy runner but fine at speed though it cuts out if to much gas used and heater plug light comes on I have autocom cdp+ no errors in it and injector levels all seem level around -0.17 I've also cleaned the egr then blanked it with no effect other symptom is it has a rattle like a tappet sound that eases when warm but is still apparent otherwise it drives fine and no bad smoke any suggestions guys and apologies for jumping on this thread great forum

Hi did you get to the bottom of this fault. I have the same problem with my transit. Really struggling to get to the bottom of it. Thanks paul