Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

ignition or carb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 PM
landaqmabba
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ignition or carb?

HI, I have a mk4 cortina 1.3L with it s standard engine that has around 88000 km, it starts fine even in cold weather, and while chocked it misses a little but works, when the engine gets to temperature and i turn off the choke, it idles fine and at constant throttle it works fine too but as soon as i push the throttle pedal down the engine feels like it s gonna turn off, then it backfires 1 or 2 times and revs up....

I checked the spark plugs 2 of them where black and 2 where orangey i changed all 4 and spark is coming on the plugs. Could it be the timing is a bit off?? or the carb needs a service kit (I think that the carb never got off the engine).

P.S I have a small whole in the exhaust pipe near the gearbox and the fuel filter isn t always full could any of those effect??
Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

That will be a Pinto engine I would think (OHC), it's worth giving it a tune up and checking the timing etc, by how you describe the plugs it's well deserved!

Ideally the plugs should be a chocolate brown colour indictating ideal fuelling, black sooty plugs are a sign of overfuelling but it's as well to see how it goes after a tune, then go from there.

But if you suspect you have a different carb, this will also cause problems, they could of fitted that from a 1600 model etc but on your smaller engine will cause it to run rich, if it's not been setup etc.

Martin
Old 06-01-2012, 06:04 PM
stevo123
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi
Just a few points observations. Get the choke off as soon as possible every time. The problem is likely to be the carburettor throtle pump diaphragm. The throttle pump (At leas I think that's what we used to call them!) injects a glob fuel when big demands are made such as throttle down/blipping etc to avoid the inevitible flat spot you are experienceing due to an over-lean mixture.

Might be worth a carb rebuild kit or maybe pick up a good known carb and just swap them over.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:47 PM
landaqmabba

Originally Posted by martysmartie
That will be a Pinto engine I would think (OHC), it's worth giving it a tune up and checking the timing etc, by how you describe the plugs it's well deserved!

Ideally the plugs should be a chocolate brown colour indictating ideal fuelling, black sooty plugs are a sign of overfuelling but it's as well to see how it goes after a tune, then go from there.

But if you suspect you have a different carb, this will also cause problems, they could of fitted that from a 1600 model etc but on your smaller engine will cause it to run rich, if it's not been setup etc.

Martin

No martin it s a kent crossflow engine and the engine was never opened it s still factory including the carb
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM
landaqmabba

Originally Posted by stevo123
Hi
Just a few points observations. Get the choke off as soon as possible every time. The problem is likely to be the carburettor throtle pump diaphragm. The throttle pump (At leas I think that's what we used to call them!) injects a glob fuel when big demands are made such as throttle down/blipping etc to avoid the inevitible flat spot you are experienceing due to an over-lean mixture.

Might be worth a carb rebuild kit or maybe pick up a good known carb and just swap them over.
I have some carbs that where taken off working engines i ll install one of them and see how that goes if it works good i ll get a kit for it s factory carb
Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look to the carb first as it a fixed jet type with as stevo said a acceleration pump think you may have a transition problem with the change from idle jetting to main jet so give it a clean and /or service.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh right thats why I wasen't sure as they were avaliable with both, I wasen't sure if you meant the carb had been changed but scrap that as you say it's never been off.

Also noticed you mentioned exhaust, whilst obviously it could make a difference, I doubt it's going to effect your fuelling, the case could be different however it it were a modern setup, i.e. Closed loop as more oxygen will be present.

Martin
Old 08-01-2012, 03:19 PM
landaqmabba

i did some work on it today, checked the ignition system the plugs and their gaps are good the distributor is ok to the coil has a slightly high resistance but it s delivering a strong spark so ill let it be for now.... the carb however was in a bad state i ha to clean it change one of the injectors cause it was so badly cloged i couldn t clean it properly and changed the diaphram (had to use a used one as it s sunday and couldn t find a replacement) also it wayyyyyyyyyyyyy tooooo much petrol so i fiddled with the adjustments too.

Now it runs great it has a steady idle and good throtle response though it still has a small blank part but i noticed that if i am not lead footed and press the pedal gently it won t back fire and accelerates smoothly i also fount out that the exhaust gasket (engine to manifold) is something of the past as there is a gap visible by the naked eye so it s a need to fix too

tomorow i ll get the gaskets and the diaphram and swap them hope it will cure it
Old 24-02-2012, 09:04 PM
cgiles
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!

please some one help me i need to buy a carburetor gasket kit for a 2l pinto engine but i cant find any if some one could forward an email of were to find them this would be a great help cheers
Old 25-02-2012, 10:22 AM
landaqmabba

Originally Posted by cgiles
please some one help me i need to buy a carburetor gasket kit for a 2l pinto engine but i cant find any if some one could forward an email of were to find them this would be a great help cheers
try:
www.purtonpower.com or www.demontweaks.com

i m not english but i bought from these sites so hope this helps
Old 25-02-2012, 12:07 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by landaqmabba
try:
www.purtonpower.com or www.demontweaks.com

i m not english but i bought from these sites so hope this helps
There is a typo in the first URL, he means www.burtonpower.com, which is who I was going to suggest.

Martin