Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Cossie regulator, after the injectors??

Search this Thread

Old 22-10-2011, 04:48 PM
baz walton
Rock Out!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cossie regulator, after the injectors??

Hi troops,
As stated in the other thread I have just posted about the cossie fuel problems.
I have discovered from the confused faces of each mechanic at the unit where my car is, that the regulator at the end of the rail isnt 'normal' practice.
On other cars, I was informed, the regulator is before the rail/injectors and uses a relay to open and close the reg as required.

Mine (rally cossie) has the pumps running fuel straight to the rear of the rail and then the reg at the front end, after the injectors, opens when the pressure rises past a certain point and returns the unsued fuel to the tank.

Firstly: Is this the correct way?
Secondly: what pressures are involved here?
I think I remember that the reg is set to open at 3 bar?
Also what pressure is the fuel pump/s putting out (mine are bosch 044 )

I was informed that the return to the tank should really just be spitting as the reg opens, but mine opens within seconds and stays that way with a heavy flow constantly returning to the tank.
Again, Is this correct?
Old 22-10-2011, 05:04 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

as the above posts state. reg sits at end of rail and then bleeds off the un necessary fuel back to tank to relieve pressure. otherwise you'd have a restriction before the injectors and would experience pressure drops before the injectors and not after.
Old 22-10-2011, 05:04 PM
baz walton
Rock Out!!

Cheers Tony, I have realised that the problem on the other post is elecrical related, this was just me wondering. (i was fairly certain the set up was ok as I have run like that for over ten years) , it was just when 3 different people looked strangely at it I thought I'd check.
Old 22-10-2011, 05:10 PM
baz walton
Rock Out!!

You knew what I meant.
I 'thought' it was right, but had never had reason to question it.
Old 27-10-2011, 09:01 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by baz walton
Hi troops,
As stated in the other thread I have just posted about the cossie fuel problems.
I have discovered from the confused faces of each mechanic at the unit where my car is, that the regulator at the end of the rail isnt 'normal' practice.
On other cars, I was informed, the regulator is before the rail/injectors and uses a relay to open and close the reg as required.

Mine (rally cossie) has the pumps running fuel straight to the rear of the rail and then the reg at the front end, after the injectors, opens when the pressure rises past a certain point and returns the unsued fuel to the tank.

Firstly: Is this the correct way?
Secondly: what pressures are involved here?
I think I remember that the reg is set to open at 3 bar?
Also what pressure is the fuel pump/s putting out (mine are bosch 044 )

I was informed that the return to the tank should really just be spitting as the reg opens, but mine opens within seconds and stays that way with a heavy flow constantly returning to the tank.
Again, Is this correct?
Whoever informed you of all this is a total idiot. And you need to run away from those "mechanics" very very quickly !