Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

02 Focus ST170 various stuff

Search this Thread

Old 17-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Blown The Case
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Focus ST170 various stuff

Hiya, new to the forums so please bear with me. Just purchased an 02 st170 with only 66k & good history to replace my old faithful re mapped mk4 golf gti 20vT. Seems to be a great car, little lacklustre in performance compared to golf, considerably better to drive though, but got a few questions if anyone has experienced similar issues ?
Noticed the gear box is very sticky, does not crunch in when going into gear, even when used enthusiastically, just needs a firm hand ? is this normal ? almost like the linkage needs lubing up ?
Noticed a slight oily smell when stationery & blower is on inside the cabin as car is ticking over ? Ive read these engines use oil for fun, but have not noticed & it doesnt seem to be using much oil ?it also seems to hunt a little under very slight acceleration ?
Finally it revs very high when cold about 1800 rpm and trying to drive smmothly on start up is awkward, very lumpy, as soon as slightly warm it runs fine ?
Other than that so far so good, car is slightly overdue annual service, any hints on plugs & oil & filters welcomed!!!
Thanks in anticipation, Cheers
Old 18-10-2011, 09:31 AM
The Loumiester
ford whore

I cant comment whether its right or wrong as iv only just bought my 02 st170 but my gear are the same and mine also idles pretty high on cold but quickly sorts its self out when warm so either where both unlucky in our cars or its correct lol
Old 18-10-2011, 09:56 AM
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bush in the gear linkage expands over time and becomes tight around the bolt, making for stiff gear changes.

As for the oily smell, make sure all the breathers are clean, if its not had a recent service id do one on it, might just need a new cabin filter.
Old 18-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Blown The Case
Virgin

Originally Posted by The Loumiester
I cant comment whether its right or wrong as iv only just bought my 02 st170 but my gear are the same and mine also idles pretty high on cold but quickly sorts its self out when warm so either where both unlucky in our cars or its correct lol

Cheers fella, perhaps that is the case, Friday cars perhaps ???? LOL
Old 18-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Blown The Case
Virgin

Hiya, thanks for the info, its booked in for a service so will get the garage to have a look, at first I thought it was burning oil, but it only happens when stationery, not when on the move ? in addition there are no other signs of this, blue smoke, excessive consumption of oil etc. I have bought a good quality 5w30 oil for it, but it looks like water, just wondering about going up to 10w30 ? Do you know if the bush in the linkage you mention can be greased up or lubed ? once again cheers for you assistance & comments....
Old 18-10-2011, 11:10 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine took mine apart and basically got a thin round file and filed some of the bush away where the bolt goes through and copper grease and it was fine, it was virtually impossible to select gear before, most of the ST fords do it at some point