Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Focus TDCI 2003 115ps starts and then stalls ? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 22-09-2011, 09:13 AM
foocer101
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Focus TDCI 2003 115ps starts and then stalls ? Help!

Hey everyone,

Need some help with my 2003 Focus 1.8 TDCI 115ps, 30k on the clock (very low!)

I'll try and explain the symptoms the best I can and what I have done/tried already, here goes...

From cold start (for example the car has sat over night for about 13hrs) after putting the key in the ignition, there are no warning lights, clutch not down, car in neutral, turn the key and it fires first time, no signs of struggle from the battery and it starts to idle at about 750-775 revs. Within 5-10 seconds of idling the engine tone changes, the revs hunt up and down a bit and then it just dies/stalls. No warning lights.

Try a second attempt, same again. On about the 3rd, sometimes 4th attempt it stays idling. If I then try to drive away (without letting the car sit on idle for ages) the engine tone is not settled and sounds lumpy. I also get juddering / bucking when at low revs and trying to accelerate faster.

After about a minute and driving down the road, the juddering / bucking stops, the engine warms up and the car drives fine. Once the engine is warm, if I stop, turn off the ingnition and restart, it works first time no problems and also drives fine.

So...

I have already done the following...

* Remove and fit new updated design Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS) (grey sensor and not black like the original) new wiring connector also installed.

* Cleaned out the EGR valve the best I could as it is an integral part of the intake manifold and that is a big job to remove from engine (the exhaust manifold has to be removed first to gain access to the intake manifold bolts. So I cleaned it in situ.

* Blanked off EGR valve between the EGR and exhaust with blanking plates

* Removed vacuum hose from EGR valve and plugged it, and at the other end too. EGR valve is now totally redundant and remains closed.

* Removed all pipework of intake, from air snorkel at front all the way to intake manifold and thoroughly cleaned including intercooler etc

* Fit Oil Catch Can from the Cam Cover PCV valve and recirc the cleaned air back into the intake. Catch can has already started to catch oil from cam cover PCV valve.

* Remove and clean the Oil Separator, check all hoses for leaks etc and refit.

* Check for oil leak from turbo oil feed and return pipes (found a leak in the return pipe so fit a new one, leak now solved.)

* Checked all vacuum hoses as best I could, no leaks found.

* Used 2 tank fulls of Shell diesel with Injector cleaner additive mixed in.

What I havent done yet, but not holding out too much hope for these as I just dont think they will solve the starting / juddering issue... But I may be wrong!

* Drain oil and replace with fresh oil, also fit new filters - Air, Fuel and Oil

* Check glow plugs voltage at startup (need to buy a multi meter and Ive been told the glow plugs dont actually aid starting / cranking anyway - is this true?)

* Check fuel lines for leaks / air getting in.

Any one suggest anything else?

To sum up...

Thats pretty much it, and Im stumped, without taking it to a dealer for diagnostic, Im starting to run out of ideas.
Does anyone have any advice for me, anyone had the same problem?

I'll appreciate any help, no matter how small, Im willing to try it and sort this car out!

Cheers, Mark.