Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

No MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:21 PM
savvy
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No MAF?

Hi,I have a question please. A new car to me a Focus 1.6 zetec 2004 on 54 plate and when I stop at a junction it sometimes drops the revs and then picks up and idles ok,as if it was going to stall. Also sometimes feels as though it is hunting slightly.I have googled things and get the opinion that it could be MAF or ICV related? Thing is I cannot find a MAF and the ICV seems as if it is on top of the throttle body and not under as all posts seem to refer to? I believe it is the latest engine configuration ie black cam cover with no lettering.
Can anyone advise please? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:51 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Doubt it's MAF, I think you will actually find these have a TMAP anyway. It should have the Zetec-S (Sigma) engine in it. I would check the vaccum pipes, these are common for splitting and causing air leaks, causing the problems you describe by the PCV.

ISCV is at the front, you will see it's got two bolts and an electrical connector.

If not I would look toward the VSS, although you normally notice problems elsewhere when this is the culprit.

Martin
Old 07-09-2011, 09:23 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

early ones have a Maf, later ones are a map sensor. Iscv is a silver metal thing bolted to inlet manifold with 2 bolts and a wiring plug. Remove and give a blast through with carb cleaner, if that doesn't fix it then it'll need replacing.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 PM
savvy

Thanks both for the info. I believe there may be something in the opposite end of the manifold to the t/body. From all the info it is the Sigma engine as you describe. I don't know but mine has the inlet at the front,some I have seen have it the other way round.
I now have a haynes on the way so will get this sorted I hope
Cleaner on my list for tomorrow then Richie
Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by savvy
Thanks both for the info. I believe there may be something in the opposite end of the manifold to the t/body. From all the info it is the Sigma engine as you describe. I don't know but mine has the inlet at the front,some I have seen have it the other way round.
Thanks again.
It IS the Zetec-S engine, this is the ONLY engine in this capacity that they are avaliable with, this was then a new engine and was launched in the Focus when it was laucned in 1998. It has now found it's way into other models as well now.

The larger capacity engines are Zetec-E engines, which were borrowed from early Mondeos, these have the inlet manifold at the back and the exahust at the front, so the complete opposite of the engine you have, incidentally your inlet manifold is also made of plastic .

Martin
Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by savvy
Thanks again.
Inside the Iscv is a small valve, work it backwards and forwards and blast with carb cleaner, make sure it moves freely. In my experience unless car has done massive amount of miles cleaning rarely works, but it's much cheaper than buying a new valve!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:32 AM
savvy

Thanks Martin and Richie. Your info is of great help, all you people who give advice on these sites are worth their weight in gold.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:01 AM
savvy

Well folks! I took off ICV and the gasket looks like it wasn't sealing around the hole nearest the electrical plug end. It looks as though the gasket had been pushed upwards slightly when being assembled and part of it was overhanging into the hole in the manifold so allowing air in. This may or may not have been the case as you can't surmise that is what was going on.Any way sealed now and at the moment seems better, I will have to give it a run on the m/way to check,all being well it is sorted.ps it has only done 56 thou ish.Thanks all.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No problem, yes this would have caused an air leak causing the problems you describe, your best of buying a new gasket really.

Martin
Old 12-09-2011, 01:44 PM
savvy

Marty, Yep on it now. Down to the dealers,local Unipart didn't have one on Sat,typical! just my luck LOL