Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

good old glow plug light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 24-08-2011, 12:01 PM
hempell
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good old glow plug light flashing

Hi, new here but hope to get as much info as possible before I go the garage with my car. Mondeo estate ghia 04 130 tdci. As with many other people I also have my glow plug light flashing and the car is in "limp mode". Went to my local mechanic who hooked it up and he said it showed that the air flow meter wasn't working properly. I ordered a new one, fitted it in, but the light was still flashing. Went back to the garage in the hope all it would need was a reset. He hooked it up again and said that meter was working properly and that it was showing no more fault codes. He told me to go to the Ford dealer as they will know more about these cars. I'm a bit worried about going to the dealer because of everything I've been reading on the internet about this and because of the reputation of dealers here in France (which is not good/very expensive!!).
So I've been looking a bit closer to the engine to find any split hoses, diesel leakages etc and than I noticed that on the side of the timing chain cover this round lid is not sealed properly (see photo) and when the engine was running there was a tiny bit of smoke coming out of here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1122500...CPqasOWi85LPHg

Could this have anything to do with the glow plug light flashing?
Car starts fine, does not smoke much and runs all right (even though it is in limp mode). Glow plug light starts flashing as soon as you hit the throttle and does not stop unless you stop the car.
The car has cut out a few times while driving.
Already ordered a cam sensor in the hope it will just be that.
I don't know much about these tdci engines, but I would like to have as much information before going to the dealer, just so I can hopefully see if they try to rip me off or not.

Thanks,

Bram
Old 24-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Totally common fault. Needs new injectors and they will need recoding. I belive this is around the £1000 mark.
Old 24-08-2011, 12:16 PM
RS500/364
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
Totally common fault. Needs new injectors and they will need recoding. I belive this is around the £1000 mark.
Not true recoding can sort this if recoding the injector to the ecu and there not faulty
its the clutch comes in at £1k
Old 25-08-2011, 10:48 AM
hempell
Virgin

Thanks, was already thinking it might be an expensive one. Going to bring it back to England to have it done by someone I know well. Probably going to work out a lot cheaper than having it done here in France. The price of injectors here is already double than in England.