Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

mondeo starting problem. please help

Search this Thread

Old 22-08-2011, 02:05 PM
wezza1979
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mondeo starting problem. please help

I have a 52 reg mondeo tdci 115 lx. I have had a number of problems over the last year and a half and almost scrapped the thing a year ago.

The main problem i have is that sometimes when i try to start the car it will turn over fine but not start. i then get a flashing glow plug light come on the dash. if i then turn the ignition off and straight back on the light goes off and the car will always start the second time perfect without fail. This problem would only happen once in every 20-30 starts with no difference made by the outside temp. could be a warm day or freezing. this was just something i lived with until i was driving the car about a year ago and it died on me while driving with no warning or stutter from the engine just coasted to a stop but was scary as i lost power steering. the car then started 15 mins later and tried to get home for the same thing to happen 2 miles later. this time called rac and when they arrived the car started fine but they could not get there computer to connect to mine for some reason.

after getting it home i was going to scrap it as i could not even get any error codes due to not being able to connect a computer for some reason. someone suggested changing the cam shaft and crankshaft sensor first as they didnt cost alot and this cured all the problems for about 6 months. no faulty starts or any thing.

now over the last month i have had the faulty starts return, only alot more frequent. maybe 1 in every 5 starts. but i am getting no loss in power and the car has not died at all yet. again always starting the second time no problems. does sometimes feel lumpy for the first 2 mins but just putting my foot down stops this then everything runs fine. only done 100k just and dont know what to do as everyone that looks at it wont suggest anything due to not being able to read the error codes.

any got any ideas off what i can try next????????
Old 26-08-2011, 04:03 PM
forevaford
PassionFord Regular

first thing is to try and get it comunicating with a tester. then we can read common rail pressure on cranking. (first thig you look at when these common rail systems play up)
il say it agen.... god damn mondeo tdci,s
Old 26-08-2011, 04:55 PM
gouch1
Advanced PassionFord User

t.d.c.i it should be t.r.o.u.b.l.e