Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Engine Pinking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 13-06-2011, 09:15 AM
seanrodn
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Pinking!!!

Hi Guy`s,I`m new online here!! Just need advice on this: Took car (2004 Mondeo 1.8 zetec) to full service last week,was told engine is pink`g,was given 2 options,(1),Take diagnstcs test,see if that shows up problem (£35), or (2),Engine strip down,for same reason,(£700/£800),obviously don`t have £`s for 2nd opt`n.Have been advised to clean out petrol injectors with "Wynn`s Formula Gld Petrol system treatm`t,triple action,(Add contents 2 full tank),& change from unleaded to Tesco99 & similar better graded petrol.Want long term solution,Not short term,like it sounds like with previ`s adv`ce.???
Old 13-06-2011, 09:32 AM
jigsaw
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

long term solution and to make sure everything is sound it to get it plugged in to see what the problem is.

then depending on the outcome it might need to be stripped anyway, at least if you have it plugged in you might get a better idea of what the problem is though
Old 13-06-2011, 10:39 AM
seanrodn
Virgin

Default Cheers Jigsaw

Thanks m8,will probably have to do that,as you say...Only way of detecting the problem,& hopefully won`t have to go to drastic measures (Engine Strip),would you think remapp`g could help??
Old 13-06-2011, 11:05 AM
jigsaw
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Maybe once the problem is sorted might help the engine but prob best doing once fixed as don't want to put more stress ing a poss knackered part meaning you then have to have more work done
Old 13-06-2011, 03:58 PM
ChrisH
Regular Contributor

Is it a standard engine?
Old 13-06-2011, 04:09 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's pinging, pinking(as we say in the uk), no need at all for strip down as mechanical problems won't cause this, without other issues.
I'd be willing to bet nothing will show up to cause the pinging, thinking about it logically it's going to be either fuelling(lean) or ignition timing.
Personally I'd clean the maf first and check for any air leaks/split hose etc, changing to a higher grade fuel may stop it, but it doesn't fix the fault.
Is it all the time or just for a few seconds under load etc, if just for a few seconds then it goes away don't worry about it, may just be slow at detecting the knock that's all and retarding the timing.
tabetha
Old 13-06-2011, 06:29 PM
ChrisH
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by tabetha
It's pinging, pinking(as we say in the uk), no need at all for strip down as mechanical problems won't cause this, without other issues.
I'd be willing to bet nothing will show up to cause the pinging, thinking about it logically it's going to be either fuelling(lean) or ignition timing.
Personally I'd clean the maf first and check for any air leaks/split hose etc, changing to a higher grade fuel may stop it, but it doesn't fix the fault.
Is it all the time or just for a few seconds under load etc, if just for a few seconds then it goes away don't worry about it, may just be slow at detecting the knock that's all and retarding the timing.
tabetha
You can't just not worry about Pinking, no matter how long it lasts.
Old 13-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently used Petrol redex to fix my cars pinking.

Apparently as layers of soot built up in the engine it increases the commpression ratio slightly, creating hot spots and thus my car was pinking.

I was told by a mechanic (one of these older mechanics that actually know things, don't just look at the pc, you know the kind) to buy two 250ml bottles of petrol redex. Not the injection one, just a normal bottle of petrol redex.

I was told to put half a bottle in a full tank of super unleaded.
I was told to remove the spark plugs and fill up the cylinders with redex and turn the engine over a few times by hand, when a cylinder gets to TDC put the spark plug back in to stop it hydrolocking.
Turn over the car again to make sure it's not hydrolocking and start her up.
Once shes running, set it around 2000-3000rpm and slowly drip another half a bottle down the intake.
Then pour the other half into a paper air filter so that it absorbes it and take it for a fecking good thrash.

The car smoked like a bitch for about 50 miles up and down the motorway, not too bad, like a badly tuned diesel but the smoke was white.

Then got home, quickly changed the oil just incase any redex got past the rings.

And since I done that my pinking has gone 100% and im back to normal unleaded.

I think redex has its place, not sure if the diesel one does though?