Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

2wd clutch slip

Search this Thread

Old 13-05-2011, 08:23 PM
chrisa3
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2wd clutch slip

Right, starting to get really pissed with my cossie.

The box started whining so I have just had a brand new exchange one from GEARS. Just fitted it this afternoon and after much advice from various people, I fitted a genuine Motorcraft clutch kit. I cleaned the flywheel, and cover with clutch cleaner and fitted a new clutch cable too.

Car drives fine, but as soon as it starts to boost past 0.5 bar it just starts slipping. It doesnt slip off boost, even under heavy load, 4th gear 30mph foot flat down.

Is it slipping because it needs bedding in?? please say yes, or is it likely to be a faulty clutch cover??

Cheers
Old 13-05-2011, 08:30 PM
2ndGear
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clutch problem!
Old 14-05-2011, 07:46 PM
chrisa3

Well Ive done around 120 mile in it today, and its not slipping any more. and drives fine. Maybe just the mating surfaces too shiny. Anyway, happy days, for now anyway, who knows what my cossies got planned for tomorrow
Old 14-05-2011, 08:52 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the cable adjustment off by lifting pedal and pushing quadrant forwards, then release press pedal a few times it will re adjust, maybe adjusted a little too much, or some grease etc wasn't removed, did you apply a little rubber lube to the splines ?
tabetha
Old 14-05-2011, 09:17 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by tabetha
Take the cable adjustment off by lifting pedal and pushing quadrant forwards, then release press pedal a few times it will re adjust, maybe adjusted a little too much, or some grease etc wasn't removed, did you apply a little rubber lube to the splines ?
tabetha
Nah, Its a new input shaft and the the fit on the two was perfect. I have used molykote and similar in the past, and the build up clutch dust etc has caused the plate to jam in the past, so i dont usually bother unless the two are worn.

Im having some issues with the clutch quadrant too. The clutch seems to operate fine, but it doesnt seem to be ratcheting. Ie I can release the cable from the gearbox end without lift the pedal. I can also push the white quadrant without lifting the pedal. Its strange, it worked fine before i changed the clutch cable and nothing was damaged. Im wondering if the spring on the pawl isnt working.
Old 14-05-2011, 09:25 PM
burnhamshaun

How much was the exchange on the gear box as I seem to be having trouble selecting reverse ie if I've been driving and want to go in reverse I have to go in 3rd or 5th whilst stationry before it will go in reverse I also have a whine
Old 14-05-2011, 09:30 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by chrisa3
Nah, Its a new input shaft and the the fit on the two was perfect. I have used molykote and similar in the past, and the build up clutch dust etc has caused the plate to jam in the past, so i dont usually bother unless the two are worn.

Im having some issues with the clutch quadrant too. The clutch seems to operate fine, but it doesnt seem to be ratcheting. Ie I can release the cable from the gearbox end without lift the pedal. I can also push the white quadrant without lifting the pedal. Its strange, it worked fine before i changed the clutch cable and nothing was damaged. Im wondering if the spring on the pawl isnt working.
Most people plaster the whole shaft, all I do is use the correct rubber lube(wahay!!) on the shaft(cars not mine) then wipe it off, this leaves a trace amount in the splines but not enough to cause trouble, it's a thixotropic grease so nothing sticks to it including dust, some don't need it though.
Ratchet doesn't sound right, check the locking pawl and it's spring is ok.
tabetha
Old 14-05-2011, 09:30 PM
chrisa3

[quote=burnhamshaun;5460896]How much was the exchange on the gear box as I seem to be having trouble selecting reverse ie if I've been driving and want to go in reverse I have to go in 3rd or 5th whilst stationry before it will go in reverse /quote]

Think thats just the norm Reverse doesnt have syncros like forward gears, think the original owners manual says to put it into 3rd or 5th first to engage reverse.

Box was Ł500 all in.
Old 14-05-2011, 09:40 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by tabetha
Most people plaster the whole shaft, all I do is use the correct rubber lube(wahay!!) on the shaft(cars not mine) then wipe it off, this leaves a trace amount in the splines but not enough to cause trouble, it's a thixotropic grease so nothing sticks to it including dust, some don't need it though.
Ratchet doesn't sound right, check the locking pawl and it's spring is ok.
tabetha
Will do mate. Im not familiar with the rachet system on the cossie, If the pawl or spring isnt working then i would have thought the pedal wouldnt work at all. im a bit confused. Will have a better look tomorrow.
Old 14-05-2011, 09:51 PM
burnhamshaun

[QUOTE=chrisa3;5460905]
Originally Posted by burnhamshaun
How much was the exchange on the gear box as I seem to be having trouble selecting reverse ie if I've been driving and want to go in reverse I have to go in 3rd or 5th whilst stationry before it will go in reverse /quote]

Think thats just the norm Reverse doesnt have syncros like forward gears, think the original owners manual says to put it into 3rd or 5th first to engage reverse.

Box was Ł500 all in.
Oh well it does whine tho I haven't had any major issues just keep wondering whether or not to buy another one or not as I do have a constant whine and reverse selecting can be a bit tricky ie double the clutch or selecting 3rd or 5th before reverse sorts it
Old 15-05-2011, 02:37 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by chrisa3
Will do mate. Im not familiar with the rachet system on the cossie, If the pawl or spring isnt working then i would have thought the pedal wouldnt work at all. im a bit confused. Will have a better look tomorrow.
If some of the teeth are mashed it may not have adjusted up correctly.
tabetha
Old 15-05-2011, 02:43 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 434 Likes on 392 Posts

u can get a proper splin grease that dosent let the dust stick to it and cause problems daf use it ill see what its called tomorrow when im at work but putting it back togther dry is a mistake!