Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Focus ST 225 xenon headlamp issue

Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Seriesonersturbowady
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus ST 225 xenon headlamp issue

Hi all, not long bought a focus St2 on a 56 plate, having a problem with the dip headlamp aim being on the floor, causing issues at night not being able to see. Have tried adjusting manually and they just re adjust them selves to the floor, they are factory fit xenon headlamps. Car is completely standard including ride height. Any ideas on how to fix would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Chrissy_bwoy
Advanced PassionFord User

Might be an issue with the level sensors in the front o/s and rear n/s arches.

they level the lights according to the ride height, have a play with them and see how you get on.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

you may need to go back to ford to get the alignment sorted if it's got auto alignment

if you disconnect the battery you may need to do this as well, it's all done through the gem and via canbus stuff as far as i can tell as i've had the same issue these past few days on my mondeo, so i simply rewired in manual adjusters
Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Beware if you put in manual adjusters as xenon head lamps have to be self levelling to pass an MOT.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:54 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlosST3
Beware if you put in manual adjusters as xenon head lamps have to be self levelling to pass an MOT.
I can't see the mot examiner checking the wiring etc to see who they adjust, especially as it's not in the manual of things to do, if they're adjusted right they pass simple.
tabetha
Old 10-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
I can't see the mot examiner checking the wiring etc to see who they adjust, especially as it's not in the manual of things to do, if they're adjusted right they pass simple.
tabetha

When you turn them on they adjust. Beam dips down then auto level.
A good MOT place will check that. If they turn the head lights on and they beam does not move then they fail.

If it is set up as manual adjustment turn lights on, no change of angle = fail.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Seriesonersturbowady
Part of the Furniture

Ok guys, thanks for your input, checked both level sensors and both working correctly, plugged in snap on scanner, no fault codes and all sensors and motors working correclty, so must be an issue with how they are set, so called up local dealer had no clue as per usual, stuck on IOW so what should i do now? manual adjusters for time being will be a good idea safer than not crashing atm!!! any ideas how to do this?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:54 AM
JonathanJ
PassionFord Regular

Not a very good dealer , you have to use IDS to unlock the adjusters electronically , all it is doing is recovering its "set" position as it sees it , the snap on scanner does not have this option in its menus , think the only one you can use is a IDS , unless there is an update for your scanner online , just a thought .

One cheat you could try is to jack the back end of the car up to kid the system that it is nose down , allow the lights to find their new level then disconnect battery for an hour , drop back end down again and reconnect battery , that would be my only shout without a scanner at hand .
Old 11-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Seriesonersturbowady
Part of the Furniture

ok jon thanks for the advice, will make sure i try the fall the lamp level sensor first, sounds a little crude but worth a try, did call FORD TECHNICAL on there Ł1.00 a min line, they had no idea either which was dissapointing. Thanks for the reply though
Old 12-02-2011, 06:40 AM
JonathanJ
PassionFord Regular

Will try and get the correct procedure on Monday from a friendly dealership , I used to be technical service foreman there but cannot remember for the life of me , other than IDS must be used , the exact order
Old 19-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Jlroberts
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having this problem now, please tell me the original poster is still on here and knows the fix!!
Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 AM
minesy2010
Virgin

hello i have a focus st225 and when putting my foot down im getting a hissing noise. ive checked for boost leaked and i dont think its that because this noise can be there 1 min and then wont be there for 10 mins and runs fine and then it will be back again could any1 help cheers