Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

s2 sr turbo mfi fuelling prob please help!

Search this Thread

Old 18-01-2011, 12:20 PM
onionrst
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2 sr turbo mfi fuelling prob please help!

hi my rs will not start im not sure whether the immobilser is causing the fault, now under cranking should there be fuel pump through when the top fuel filter pipe is off it primes ok with fuel pissing everywhere but under cranking nothing its sounds silly of course u need fuel but was wondering if it needs to be connected to get the pressure etc. i was also thinking the mfi unit has packed up as its common, any help would be great as im stuffed at the mo!!
Old 18-01-2011, 12:27 PM
stevo123
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should get the priming action when ign at stage 2. As the car is cranking the ignition pulses are present. The pink (fuel) relay is kept closed as it "sees" the pulses so you should have pump running under cranking as well. However the fuel pressure in the lines after priming would be enough to VERY briefly start the car.
The mfi airflow flap can stick and can be centralised by loosening the 10mm nut and centralising with a feeler guage.

As a temp fix you can bridge the pink relay (search net) or the easy way is to remove the pink relay cover and pinch the contact gently together with your fingers.

The relay is a safety feature at heart, its job can be described logically as - IF engine is NOT rotating then swith OFF fuel pump. IF IGN is ON and engine is rotating then switch ON the fuel pump.
Old 18-01-2011, 05:38 PM
onionrst
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, i did bridge the fuel pump relay and all that happened was the ignition came on and made a buzzing noise but the fuel pump was not running i checked the voltage at the pump and nothing so thats what made me think the alarm has packed up because it has been left standing and it went very flat so thought it may have disturbed the immobillser/alarm.