Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Focus problems

Search this Thread

Old 14-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Lewie
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus problems

Hi all.
Just bought a 1.8 LX 51 plate Focus as a run about for the wife.
Broke the cardinal rule. Was in a rush and didn't check everything.
I got home and found two problems (so far )

1. The 6 cd multi changer was jammed. I took it out and removed three disks but it still doesn't work and the volume control knob is faulty also.
Volume works ok with the remote column controls though.
Worth trying to fix?? What's my best route if not?
I read that this is a common problem, are the single cd players more reliable?
I would like to keep the remote column controls if poss.

2. Also a common fault I believe?
I press the remote central locking and the doors lock then open.
They lock off the key and open with the remote no problem.
The first time you use the fob after getting out of the car it seems to be ok but after that it plays up!!

Any help much appreciated.
Nice site by the way. Should have looked at the site BEFORE buying and got some advice.

P.S. as the trader advertised it with cd player and central locking, do I have any redress legally??
Old 14-11-2010, 09:13 AM
rsfido_1989
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ford 6 disk changer is poo. had one in my st and always had problems, it would skip. volume wouldnt control correctly by the front of the unit... and various other problems... imo change it
Old 14-11-2010, 09:21 AM
stickertone
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

my girlfriends got a focus ghia with 6 disc under the seat... not had a days problem with it in the 5 years she's had it.. so make your own mind up.... i'd go an talk to the dealer... and ask him how well the car was checked for faults before he sold it to you.... mention the words "trading standards" this normally gets their attention and sometimes improves their help levels in these matters....
Old 14-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Lewie
Virgin

Hi both.
Thanks for the replies.

fido, i'm inclined to agree. So many faulty ones about.

stickertone. Is your girlfriends the ford single cd with the seperate 6 cd changer??
Old 14-11-2010, 10:46 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A very basic answer here, the faults you list are 100% down to the dealer, under consumer law, sale of goods act you are covered for any malfunction for the 1st 6 months end of.
The exclusions to this are where you pay a substantially reduced to reflect any faults, which must be listed, or fair wear and tear.
The items that have gone wrong do NOT need to be specifically mentioned in the sales blurb.
Don't fiddle with anything as otherwise the dealer can claim that you damaged it.
So first port of call is dealer, don't listen to the crap the dealer may give you about "we don't give you warranty on this car", it's irrelevant the LAW and sale of goods act cover you, if he doesn't play ball contact trading standards, then list the faults/lack of dealer help on a large cardboard cut out placed in the rear window, and park outside his garage, 100% LEGAL and nothing he can do about it.
I'm employed the above tactic outside a Argos store for a £6.99 toy that broke after 2 months, police came, and went much to the stores annoyance as one is entitled to peaceful protest!!
tabetha
Old 14-11-2010, 11:01 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Re the central locking, the problem lies with one of the master locks I.E driver or passenger front door, one of them needs lubricating.

What is happening is one of them is sticky and so when the CL pulse expires one is locked while the other is stuck in between and so it reverts and opens the car again.

Martin
Old 14-11-2010, 12:40 PM
rsfido_1989
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 6 disk is the one with all the disks in the unit.. not a separate 6disk loading tray. when having problems with mine i looked around and found they are problematic.

Trending Topics

Old 14-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Lewie
Virgin

Tabetha, i'll give him a call and listen to his response. I don't hold much hope. Do you know where I can get the legal jargon, ie, law section numbers I can quote to him?

marty, there is a rattling coming from behind the drivers side door panel.
Maybe related to the central locking fault?
Is there a guide anywhere on taking the panel off? easy/hard??

fido, yeah, I know the thing you are on about I was just wondering wether stickertones girlfriend was using a ford cd player and seperate changer under her seat or if it was a sony/jvc etc
Old 14-11-2010, 03:14 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Just look for sale of goods and supply of services act on the net, don't let the knob get away with it, as he'll just carry on, scum like him make me sick, I hear this every week, just too many weak kneed people about for them to prey on.
tabetha
Old 15-11-2010, 10:07 PM
stickertone
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

no she's got the radio cassette head unit and 6 disc under the seat... maybe a 6000 unit?????
Old 16-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Lewie
Virgin

tabetha, been in touch, he is swapping the cd player, probably be a single rather than a 6 changer (he didn't advertise it as having a 6 cd changer) but i don't think that is a bd thing looking at all the problems with the multi changers.
As for the central locking, i've viewed the ad and he didn't advertise REMOTE locking!!
The car centrally locks off the key so.....................
I could fight it by saying the cars came with remote locking as standard but then i have to leave the car with someone who would have his a*se in his hands.

stickertone, if I get a single player i will maybe look for a seperate changer, seems a better idea.
Old 16-11-2010, 04:09 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The CL if fitted as std by ford should work, unless it is mentioned that it doesn't, try to get a few £'s back instead maybe, I always worry when they are forced to do a job they don't want to, how they will treat the car, I have known one case years ago where a rsehole YTS/trainee put a certain substance in the oil/engine, 30 miles later it threw a rod, owner could never prove it, was a ford garage, I know this happened as I rebuilt a new engine for him.
tabetha