Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

fault code p0171 sysem too lean plus other codes

Search this Thread

Old 28-09-2010, 05:27 PM
carolynrr7
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fault code p0171 sysem too lean plus other codes

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me. Iv been having major problems with my ford mondeo 1.8 Duratec-HE petrol 53 reg. my car is used as a taxi and has done ALOT of miles but has 3 mot's per year so is looked after.

The car lacks power and surges throughout the driving speed range, feels like it runs like a 1lt, it also feels like it misfires, the lack of power is worse with moderate-high acceleration, if i try to put my foot down flat to the floor or even 3/4 it basically loses power and slows down, yet i do gain gradual speed with light acceleration yet it is still quite sluggish and surges. My mpg has also been affected, i usually do 32-35mpg yet recently been doing only 28-29mpg driving around town and motorway.

Iv had various repairs done as follows:
  • new catalytic convertor
  • 2nd hand/but good condition air inlet manifold (butterfly swivels on old manifold were lose and rattling)
  • new o2/lamba sensor (bank1)
  • new map sensor
  • new spark plugs & ht leads
  • oil and oil filter change
  • new fuel filter
the car still drives like a bag of spanners. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Old 28-09-2010, 05:51 PM
dazliddle

what this code is system to lean not enough fuel check fuel pressure . and injectors to . or pressure regulator i also no a lot of ecu upgrades on this model sum times disconect the battey and putting the leads together help which reset the fuel trims short and long term
Old 28-09-2010, 07:09 PM
forevaford
PassionFord Regular

has it got a MAF meter in the induction pipe? This can cause system too lean code
fuel filter??
Old 28-09-2010, 07:35 PM
carolynrr7
Virgin

hi,
iv checked the fuel injectors and had the car ticking over with the injectors off- fuel seemed to be getting through cos injectors were spitting it out, although car was only ticking over.

Iv checked the fuel pump as can hear it when put ignition on but do you know if i can do a self-diognosis to check fuel pressure? Do you know what the fuel pressure should be on my car, iv checked haynes manual but cant find it.

How exactly do i check if ecu has disconnected my battery??- do i have the engine on or off when put the two battery terminals together.

Iv went for a good run in my car tonight on motorway, I noticed that when i do 50mph in 4th gearand then floor it as soon as i reach 3-3500 revs the engine stalls and splutters and will not increase past the 50mph, yet if i pull off the gas a touch it then slowly accelerates past the 50mph, its the same in which ever gear im in, if i floor it in 2nd gear it surges and misfires soon as i reach 3-3500 revs, just seems worse when use heavy acceleration
Old 28-09-2010, 07:38 PM
carolynrr7
Virgin

Hi forevaford,
no it doesnt have a maf sensor, someone else told me to check this so i took off the air induction pipe and it didnt have one in it, apparently cars that have a map sensor dont have a maf sensor, haynes manual says only my car in the v6 engine has the maf.
cheers
Old 21-08-2012, 08:47 AM
lemonjeff
Virgin

Originally Posted by carolynrr7
Hi forevaford,
no it doesnt have a maf sensor, someone else told me to check this so i took off the air induction pipe and it didnt have one in it, apparently cars that have a map sensor dont have a maf sensor, haynes manual says only my car in the v6 engine has the maf.
cheers
I know its been some but did you find a solution ?
My 2001 2.0i has exactly the same symptoms.
Cheers.
Old 21-08-2012, 08:59 AM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My old dears Fiesta Zetec-S has this code too
Old 25-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Raineygfc
Virgin

Did you ever get this fixed?? My 05 mondeo has the exact same code and symptoms. Even tried disconnecting the exhaust before the cat. In case it was a blocked cat. I'm ready for the hills!!
Old 25-09-2013, 07:52 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah pipes below the inlet manifold below the breather were split! So then causing an air leak.

Replaced the pipe, cleared code and been good for months.
Old 25-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Raineygfc
Virgin

Originally Posted by JamesH
Yeah pipes below the inlet manifold below the breather were split! So then causing an air leak.

Replaced the pipe, cleared code and been good for months.
I noticed a split in 1 of mine yesterday, fixed it, but still the same. Tho mine is running more like the opening post. Has my head turned. I've even separated the exhaust before the cat, in case the cat had collapsed.
Old 25-09-2013, 09:11 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 118 Likes on 111 Posts

As per my thread on here sounds like a Mondeo I looked at recently, opening post (I know it's old) but exactly the same driving symptoms.

Fuel pressure should reach 3.8bar and maintain it whilst running, this one dropped to just 1bar when faulting.

https://passionford.com/forum/ford-m...-when-hot.html

Might help others if searching.

Last edited by GVK.; 25-09-2013 at 09:13 PM.