Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Cosworth dashboard electrical problem.

Search this Thread

Old 30-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Djed710
Djed710

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cosworth dashboard electrical problem.

Hi, since I bought my sierra it's had an intermittent problem with the fuel guage, graphic display thing to show when doors are open etc and the radio getting alot of interference. These all seem to be linked and I wondered if anyone has had any similar problems or is familiar with the sierra wiring and could point me in the right direction to start with!

Sometimes the fuel guage will read correctly and the radio will get a good reception on fm and the car graphic thing on the dash will work normally. At random times the fuel guage will drop off right to the bottom below the red, at the same time different doors will flash on and off on the display. Iv also noticed when this happens the radio reception is very bad too. It also seems to trigger this fault when you turn the radio up loud! It used to only do this now and then but now does it nearly all the time. Iv tried a different set off clocks to illuminate the actual guage but made no difference. I presume it will be a bad connection or bad earth sumwhere but wondered if anyone has had a strange problem like this before or has any ideas of where to start!

Thanx for any help.

Ed
Old 31-08-2010, 12:32 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

It sounds like an earthing problem, I would check the main battery earth as par of the course but you will more than likely find these all share a common earth, excluding the fuel gauge where the sender is the earth. (I can tell you for sure after consulting the bible which I don't have access to ATM)

When the fuel gauge goes does temp gauge, rev counter and dash warning lights go as well? When graphic display cause problems this is down to the earths usually.

Martin

Last edited by martysmartie; 31-08-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 31-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Djed710
Djed710

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx for the reply Martin

When the fuel guage drops off it doesn't affect any other gauge except the graphic display thing. This does hav a fuel light as part of the same display tho so could this be anything to do with the interaction? Il check main earths today and try n drop tank down n check sender connections next then!

Thanx for the help.