Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

saph rear lights going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 26-07-2010, 09:48 PM
ram
Has a large member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default saph rear lights going crazy

Had a trolley jack in my boot the other day which smacked into one of the bulb holders bending two connections and making them touch, this made the rear brake light fuse pop. replaced the fuse and now the rear lights are going crazy (when i indicate they all flash/glow at same time etc.)

Points to an earthing problem but it should only be the brown points on either bulb holder plug earthing (but according to rac man pins 2 and 3 are earthing as well?

Im pretty crap with electrics but he reckons my fuse box is throwing a spaz?

anyone got any suggestions of what i should look at?

My runarounds broken down at the mo so need the cos for work tomor!

thanks.

Last edited by ram; 26-07-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 29-07-2010, 08:11 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Defo earth problem, I do hope the RAC man removed ALL the bulbs when testing ?, as otherwise these wil find a natural earth path through the filaments, as they are all connected to earth!!
Best bet is to run a seperate earth wire to the earth ring on the lamp holder part from the lamp inner fixing screw, cures the earth problem permanently, just drill a 3-4mm hole in the earth track, roughen the area and solder a wire on, then to earth on the fixing screw.
I actually hard wire all my rear lights in as these are problematic on fords of this era anyway.
Can also do the fog/stop light mod at same time if wanted, costs about 10 pence and massively effective, mot passable and legal.
tabetha