Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Duratec 2.0 use for Kit Car

Search this Thread

Old 19-07-2010, 07:55 AM
ChrisDuratec
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duratec 2.0 use for Kit Car

Hi, I've got a 2.0 Duratec from an 08 ST150 which I'm using in a Kit Car and this has raised some questions which I'm hoping someone on this Forum can help with.

I want to keep the original induction system but I need to change the throttle body because it's drive-by-wire. Can anyone recommend a cable operated throttle body (perhaps from an older 2.0 Duratec installation) that will fit?

I'm also guessing that it's not worth trying to tweak the ST150 ECU and that it would be easier to use a new third party ECU. Has anyone had any experience of doing this because there are so many senders and bit and pieces on the Duratec that I'm not sure where to start!

Also, does anyone know of a workshop manual for the 2.0 Duratec. There doesnt appear to be a Haynes manual for the ST150 and the only thing I can find for the Duratec on the interweb is the factory build manual!
Old 19-07-2010, 12:22 PM
mobb-black
Regular Contributor

Get it in somewhere that will sort it for you. Most people convert duratecs over to throttle bodies and aftermarket management during kit car installations.
Old 19-07-2010, 12:31 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I presume your not wanting to use tb's due to the costs ?

I don't know if there is a non fly by wire duratec so you might be stuffed there, someone will no doubt know though.

As for Ecus if you have to go down that route I'd advise a M Tech V4 Ecu, Ł495+vat, does everything you need. Matt can also sort you out with a Jenvey tb kit to go with that but you would have to speak to them about costs etc..

http://www.mtechautomotive.co.uk/engine-management/

They also use this forum if you do a search
Old 19-07-2010, 12:41 PM
ChrisDuratec
Virgin

Thanks for the info.

The 'stock' power output of 150 (probably a bit more with engine management and a more free-flowing exhaust) is ample for the car I'm build as it only ways a little over 500kilos. So it's partly cost but also I want to build the car and see how the standard power is before perhaps investing in direct TBs at a later stage.

If the standard TB wasnt drive-by-wire I would have stuck with that.

As the drive-by-wire seemed a more recent thing I thought there'd be older 2.0 Duratecs with a cable controlled equivalent but I don't want to buy one until I'm sure.
Old 19-07-2010, 01:03 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at Jamsport we get around 200bhp out of the ST150's with full exhaust, induction kit, cams, cosworth inlet & custom mapping the standard ecu, we do cable operated throttle conversions on some cars when people are changing managment.