Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

suspension brake hose

Search this Thread

Old 17-07-2010, 11:27 PM
ford__ka
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension brake hose

Hi all,
Im new to the site so please forgive me if im asking a question thats already been asked (i tried to check but couldnt find anything).
Iv got a ford KA and installed a ford full racing suspension kit (plus springs) onto it.
On the front dampers there are no brake hose clips to hold the brake hose in place. For this reason my car has had its MOT failed.
Iv tied them up with cable ties and it passed.
But im thinking how comes there are none? and the mot guy said it was dangerous??? are there any clips I can get?
Or whats the best course of action?
Thank you!!
and have a great weekend.
Old 18-07-2010, 09:45 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't knmow why there are none on the ford racing gear, but if it's the flexy pipe, so long as secured where it cannot come into contact with anything on lock to lock being securely fastened with tie wraps is ok, or it wouldn't have passed, I've secured braided flexies like this in the past with no problems.
tabetha
Old 18-07-2010, 01:05 PM
ford__ka
Virgin

Ah ok, thanks Tabetha for your help.
Iv secured it for now, but someone was saying that the cable ties will rub against the flexy pipe and cause problems. So is there any other alternatives?
Iv seen an attachment you can bolt in where the suspension ear is bolted to the car, but dont know what its called or where to get it from.
If someone could please help.
Thanks.
Old 18-07-2010, 03:47 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I've ran sierras for years with the std flexy pipes attached only by tie wraps to the strut body, I use two just to be sure, never had a issue yet, in 10 years, just make sure the wheel when turned fully through each way doesn't puul or touch the pipe it'll be ok, I always found the best way was to put the flexy directly in line with a imaginary line between each strut bodyso nearside one viwed from above would be at 3 o'clock position and the offside at 9 o'clock position, the leats amount of movement of the pipe that way as well.
tabetha
Old 18-07-2010, 05:19 PM
ford__ka
Virgin

Hi Tabetha,
Thanks for your help- iv done as you wrote and used a cable tie and placed them like you wrote in a 3-9 place. Iv put three cable ties on each one so hopefully it should hold ok.
Do you think getting a braided metal flexi pipe would be better or this should be ok?
Old 19-07-2010, 09:51 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

It will be fine with the std rubber pipes, but braided pipes will improve the feel and the brakes as they don't swell under pressure like the std rubber ones do, they also last a lot longer too.
tabetha