Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

My mondeo has died :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:22 PM
theysawmecoming
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My mondeo has died :(

Hi everyone.

I have a 03 mondeo tdci 130 zetec

The other day as I was driving I noticed a air whooshing noise when the turbo kicked in. check the intercooler to egr pipe and sure enough there was split. replaced the pipe and started to drive to mot centre. a little way down the road it started to miss and splutter and felt almost like it was going into idle/limp mode. got to the mot place and it died just outside

On re-starting, which it takes a while to do. it sounds terrible, like its firing on 2 cylinders and has a horrible metallic failing starter type of screech to it.

Mechanic took off egr, pretty gummed up, (i cleaned it about a year ago) He cleaned it, still no good.

scanned it, got code p1664 - fuel pump communication.

called AA and he also scanned it, got codes 1664/1665 but he said his scanner is better suited to cars after 05 so may not be accurate.
Asked the AA guy to take me to mechanics work shop where he said he would check the the timing chain/pulley. but all is fine.

What the hell is going on

DMF failed last year and was replaced. cam sensor replaced at around the same time for the new grey type. I did have a patch with the car that when i started it the glow plug light would flash and it would be really sluggish, but if I turned it off and back on again it was fine, it has not done this for ages though.
The aux drive pulley is squeaking.

Could the pipe splitting be the symptom of another problem or is it coincidental to something else going wrong.... Sorry about the massive post people, but if anyone has any ideas?

thanks

Last edited by theysawmecoming; 12-05-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 PM
rich2302
Part of the Furniture

had exactly the same problem with my Alfa diesel, cleaned the EGR, same problem, tapped the EGR lightly with a hammer as a mate tried to start it and hey presto, problem cleared. New EGR valve under warranty and it was all sorted, so I would try that first.

By the way, mine called an injector fault when it happened, which was false.

Last edited by rich2302; 12-05-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 PM
theysawmecoming
Virgin

Originally Posted by rich2302
had exactly the same problem with my Alfa diesel, cleaned the EGR, same problem, tapped the EGR lightly with a hammer as a mate tried to start it and hey presto, problem cleared. New EGR valve under warranty and it was all sorted, so I would try that first.

ok, i will give it go. thanks
Old 14-06-2010, 10:28 AM
theysawmecoming
Virgin

Originally Posted by rich2302

No joy what so ever, it will turn over, but wont fire at all